Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows 8 laptop freezing at the Windows logo after turning on Hyper-V

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
December 29, 2012 4:03:34 AM

Update #2 So there were two options for Virtualization in the Bios. I enabled the first one which was described as virtualization and using VM software. The second one had something to do with Intel so I decided to keep it disabled. Solved my problem since now I can use Hyper-V.

[UPDATE] : So after a few more failed restarts, I disabled virtualization in my Bios and my laptop started normally. Still don't know why virtualization would have caused the problem.


I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T430 running on Windows 8 Pro.

I wanted to use Hyper-V as a virtual machine and went on to turn it on from the Window's features. But one of the options was grayed out so I had to go to my Bios and turn on Virtualization. After my laptop booted back up everything was okay. But I couldn't start a virtual machine from Hyper-V yet so I started looking online to see how to do so and then I fell upon this guide: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id... (download word document, that's where the directions are).

The guide basically told me to add a few lines of code to Powershell and Command Prompt, basically turning some features on. And I restarted my laptop after that like I was suppose to. This is where it froze. The Windows logo screen came up and then the spinning circles would stop and nothing happened for the next 30 minutes or so.

So I force restarted a few more times, and on the third restart- Windows Diagnostics came up. It eventually prompted me to do a system restore so I agreed to do so. But then it went to the Windows logo screen (this time w/out the loading circle dots) and stayed there for- frozen once again (gotten to this point 3 times, once I waited 30 minutes with no result)

I've been running Lenovo Diagnostics to see if its a hardware problem but I haven't come up with anything yet. And it seems like there's no way for me to access the Windows recovery tools- and if there was it seems like its doesn't restore.

Anyone have any advice- I'm completely dumbfounded and lost.

Thanks!

Spec's:
8gb ram
i5 @ 2.8 gHz
Nvidia 5400m
(if you need more let me know)
a b D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
December 29, 2012 4:55:01 AM

If you turn Virtualization back on, does the problem re-appear? I'm curious about this one...
m
0
l
December 29, 2012 10:03:59 AM

Check if there is a BIOS update available, Virtualisation bugs are a quite common with some Thinkpads.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
December 29, 2012 10:28:22 AM

om23 said:
[UPDATE] : So after a few more failed restarts, I disabled virtualization in my Bios and my laptop started normally. Still don't know why virtualization would have caused the problem.


I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T430 running on Windows 8 Pro.

I wanted to use Hyper-V as a virtual machine and went on to turn it on from the Window's features. But one of the options was grayed out so I had to go to my Bios and turn on Virtualization. After my laptop booted back up everything was okay. But I couldn't start a virtual machine from Hyper-V yet so I started looking online to see how to do so and then I fell upon this guide: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id... (download word document, that's where the directions are).

The guide basically told me to add a few lines of code to Powershell and Command Prompt, basically turning some features on. And I restarted my laptop after that like I was suppose to. This is where it froze. The Windows logo screen came up and then the spinning circles would stop and nothing happened for the next 30 minutes or so.

So I force restarted a few more times, and on the third restart- Windows Diagnostics came up. It eventually prompted me to do a system restore so I agreed to do so. But then it went to the Windows logo screen (this time w/out the loading circle dots) and stayed there for- frozen once again (gotten to this point 3 times, once I waited 30 minutes with no result)

I've been running Lenovo Diagnostics to see if its a hardware problem but I haven't come up with anything yet. And it seems like there's no way for me to access the Windows recovery tools- and if there was it seems like its doesn't restore.

Anyone have any advice- I'm completely dumbfounded and lost.

Thanks!

Spec's:
8gb ram
i5 @ 2.8 gHz
Nvidia 5400m
(if you need more let me know)


If you enable virtualization you are actually enabling 2, 4 threaded cpu, your cpu has 2 core, but if you notice in your hardware with virtualization on, you'll have 4 cpu. Virtualization enable will make 2 virtual cpus or a 4 threaded cpu. I think your problem is not enough power to operate virtualization. If u need help to get your lan connect to use in hyperv I can help
m
0
l
December 30, 2012 12:46:34 AM

The_Prophecy said:
If you turn Virtualization back on, does the problem re-appear? I'm curious about this one...


So there were two options for Virtualization in the Bios. I enabled the first one which was described as virtualization and using VM software. The second one had something to do with Intel so I decided to keep it disabled. Solved my problem since now I can use Hyper-V.
m
0
l
December 30, 2012 12:48:13 AM

gomerpile said:
If you enable virtualization you are actually enabling 2, 4 threaded cpu, your cpu has 2 core, but if you notice in your hardware with virtualization on, you'll have 4 cpu. Virtualization enable will make 2 virtual cpus or a 4 threaded cpu. I think your problem is not enough power to operate virtualization. If u need help to get your lan connect to use in hyperv I can help


That's what the problem prob was and thanks for the offer. I've added another update to explain what ended up solving the problem.
m
0
l
!