disable write behind caching using registry key?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hello,

First of all, sorry about the cross-post but I don't know which group
is most appropriate:

m.p.windowsxp.configuration_manage: it's something I need to configure
m.p.windowsxp.hardware: it is hardware-related
m.p.windowsxp.help_and_support: I deed help (obviously)
m.p.windowsxp.perform_maintain: it's a performance issue

Since a week or so, I frequently get an error message about a failed
write behind caching. This is usually when disk activity is very (even
extremely) high. In the event log there is event id 50.
I *have* found a solution on the Microsoft Support site. The only
problem is implementing it. Microsoft advises to disable the write
behind caching on the hard disk. I have found the screen where this
setting should be changed, however I cannot change it because it is
grayed out.
So I wonder if there is a registry key that I can add or change that
has the same effect.

Some background info:
OS: XP Pro SP1, language = Dutch
Drive C: dual Seagate Barracuda V 120GB on Promise SATA controller in
RAID 0 (striping)
I think everyone who knows a bit about RAID, will agree that write
behind caching is actually not a very good idea on a striped disk.

I don't think other configuration info is relevant at the moment, but
feel free to ask if you need to know more.

--
Amedee Van Gasse
Bottom-quoter

    Further followups will go to news:microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,
    because the problem *is* hardware-related.

    Amedee Van Gasse wrote:

    *snip*

    > Since a week or so, I frequently get an error message about a failed
    > write behind caching. This is usually when disk activity is very (even
    > extremely) high. In the event log there is event id 50.
    > I have found a solution on the Microsoft Support site. The only
    > problem is implementing it. Microsoft advises to disable the write
    > behind caching on the hard disk. I have found the screen where this
    > setting should be changed, however I cannot change it because it is
    > grayed out.
    > So I wonder if there is a registry key that I can add or change that
    > has the same effect.
    >
    > Some background info:
    > OS: XP Pro SP1, language = Dutch
    > Drive C: dual Seagate Barracuda V 120GB on Promise SATA controller in
    > RAID 0 (striping)
    > I think everyone who knows a bit about RAID, will agree that write
    > behind caching is actually not a very good idea on a striped disk.
    >
    > I don't think other configuration info is relevant at the moment, but
    > feel free to ask if you need to know more.

    Meanwhile I have made some more research. I'll post it here in case
    someone is interested.

    It seems that the above configuration info is indeed enough.
    There is a "bug" (how else to call it?) in Windows XP that write behind
    caching cannot be disabled on ATA 100 devices /and/ on certain Promise
    controllers that emulate a SCSI controller. And what do you think?
    Indeed, a Promise SATA controller is recognised as a SCSI controller in
    Windows. Bummer. :-(

    This "bug" is *not* fixed in SP1. Is there anyone here with a little
    more inside info in Microsoft who knows if there is going to be a
    solution in SP2 or in some hotfix?

    --
    Amedee Van Gasse

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 01:17:18 -0700, "Amedee Van Gasse"
    <nzrqrr@nzrqrr.or> wrote:

    >Further followups will go to news:microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,
    >because the problem *is* hardware-related.
    >
    >Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
    >
    >*snip*
    >
    >> Since a week or so, I frequently get an error message about a failed
    >> write behind caching. This is usually when disk activity is very (even
    >> extremely) high. In the event log there is event id 50.
    >> I have found a solution on the Microsoft Support site. The only
    >> problem is implementing it. Microsoft advises to disable the write
    >> behind caching on the hard disk. I have found the screen where this
    >> setting should be changed, however I cannot change it because it is
    >> grayed out.
    >> So I wonder if there is a registry key that I can add or change that
    >> has the same effect.
    >>
    >> Some background info:
    >> OS: XP Pro SP1, language = Dutch
    >> Drive C: dual Seagate Barracuda V 120GB on Promise SATA controller in
    >> RAID 0 (striping)
    >> I think everyone who knows a bit about RAID, will agree that write
    >> behind caching is actually not a very good idea on a striped disk.
    >>
    >> I don't think other configuration info is relevant at the moment, but
    >> feel free to ask if you need to know more.
    >
    >Meanwhile I have made some more research. I'll post it here in case
    >someone is interested.
    >
    >It seems that the above configuration info is indeed enough.
    >There is a "bug" (how else to call it?) in Windows XP that write behind
    >caching cannot be disabled on ATA 100 devices /and/ on certain Promise
    >controllers that emulate a SCSI controller. And what do you think?
    >Indeed, a Promise SATA controller is recognised as a SCSI controller in
    >Windows. Bummer. :-(
    >
    >This "bug" is *not* fixed in SP1. Is there anyone here with a little
    >more inside info in Microsoft who knows if there is going to be a
    >solution in SP2 or in some hotfix?
    You're correct. I believe this feature is implemented thru the
    driver. If you do have a third party card and it runs on a
    non-microsoft driver, contact the vendor for more info.

    Dave

Configuration Hardware Microsoft Cache Windows XP