Motherboard or CPU chip, that is the question!

deanblough

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Boot up computer, on first screen where you get manufacture icon, f10 setup choice etc, this screen looks correct! Go into setup all letters and numbers correct! exit and continue without hard drive detached to cause the boot error. The lettering is incorrect, only some letters are effected and in every case the letter that is suppose to be there is two letters back. Example PRESS IS PREQS.
Another test sample was memtest86 self boot disk run, memory tested fine all passes but the lettering was the same way 2 off S shows as R and same with some others but always 2 letters off. I beleive it is not the video card because the screen comes up perfect during the manufacture screen. I disconected HD so I know it not to be that. Motherboard or CPU not sure which would do this letter change. Memory tested fine Motherboard m2n68-la

deanblough

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010

I had the system up and running but it shut down and now cant even get in to reload windows, it will only let me into restore screen but wont let me restore system through repair. Results is I cant do anything to the bios that I know of without os system. The main issue I am concerned with right now is the incorrect letters I refered too. What ever is causing this is causing everything else after system boot is done

deanblough

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010

Yes I have on the partition, the factory image is on the other partition so I cant format that, sister didnt get recovery disks. The problem I am trying to resolve is not in os system. It occurs with HD disconnected completely, its the lettering on display im addressing

deanblough

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I know you mean well and I thank you for your attempt to help but you have missed the point the OS is not the real issue, its before the boot of OS system. Besides if I wiped EVERYTHING, the OS would be gone and no way to install it without software

deanblough

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010

I dont know of anyway to update the bios with an OS the factory image is all thats left and cant access it?

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

Have you tried running a memory test?

It could also be a faulty video card, if possible, after doing a memory test and all checks out, maybe try the video card in another PC if you have access to one.

I would try either of these first if you are not comfortable updating BIOS, which it sounds like.

You do not need an OS to update your BIOS, you can most likely update the BIOS from a bootable USB drive, check the manufacturers site for a BIOS update application and BIOS file.