Overclocked CPU, now Fans spin, no post, no boot!!

electrohouser818

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
So i built this system about a year ago or more and it was working fine, untill 2 days ago :/
I have the ABIT AN52V motherboard and i tried to overclock the cpu many times. The default speed is 200, all i can do is make it 213 max! anything above that wouldnt work. Lets say i put it 220 and restart the pc, it would automatically put it back to 200.
Any ideas?
Anyway. I tried to overclock it again (i got an 4pin to 8pin cpu power adapter, i thought it would help). Now i tried to put it to 220+, still didnt work. Then i raised the CPU voltage, restarted the comp and now it wont turn on -_- i guess i gave it too much volts!!! :/
I tried EVERYTHING, clear cmos, remove battery, clear cmos again, remove all the components...
Then i removed the ram's to see if there would be any beeps, NOTHING!
does this mean that the motherboard is fried?? could it be both the motherboard and the cpu?? :/
helppp!! :(

electrohouser818

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I have AMD Athlon 4200+ x2 64bit.
I think it was 1.8 or something, i dont remember. i guess it was too much, because when i turned on the comp, it would stay on for 5 seconds and the turn off. When i cleared the cmos, it turned on, but no beeps, no post or anything.

thanks for the reply!

electrohouser818

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

i have a mid tower case, so i wont be needing a micro atx motherboard. and i have xfx 8800gts, sooo if i get a new card, i will be doing sli!

electrohouser818

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

no i havent checked anything. but even if i overclocked the cpu, it would automatically go back to default.
and i have the Thermaltake Blue Orb II cpu fan

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

I see. You didn't mentioned your GPU, remember??! And the fact that you chose an amd mobo with amd chipset and with 2 PCI-e slots should give me a clue that your gpu is a member of the red army. But no, it's green.

Either way, getting what you've selected is just a waste considering that your gpu is green and you can't do CF no matter what. Get a mobo with a single PCI-e slot if you plan on going with single card in an AMD mobo with AMD chipset. Otherwise, go with an amd mobo with a nvidia chipset for you to be able to do *ehem* SLI *ehem*.

What makes you think that the motherboard is fried? You applied too much voltage to the CPU, not to the motherboard. The motherboard should be fried only if so much current was required that the VRs couldn't handle it. You should test your CPU or have it tested if you can't do it yourself.

electrohouser818

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
i would test it myself, but none of my friends have amd cpu's. i guess i have to buy a new cpu, test it then return it or something -_-

and as i said, when i remove the ram's, there are no beeps!
even with everything removed (ram, cpu, graphic)

electrohouser818

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Okay i think its the cpu!!!
Today i removed everything from the motherboard, cleared the cmos again! then turned it on, it would stay on for a few seconds then shut itself off!!!
but it wouldnt do this when the cpu was in it.
one more thing. there are 2 led lights on the motherboard, green and red. when i plug the power cord to the psu, the red light comes on, when i turn on the comp, the green light comes on! so i guess the mobo is okay?!?!
i will get a cpu and see what comes up :D

WTF!!!??? 1.8V!!!!!!!

Yeah, you killed it. Anything over 1.5v for an Athlon X2 is dangerous and will shorten it's life span. I take it you didn't have a liquid nitro cooling pot on that thing :D. Yeah read an overclocking guide or something first next time. What you should have done was raise the voltage slightly, lower your HT multiplier, raised the memory divider, and manually set the memory timings, not give the CPU so much voltage it fries. Well just so you know, for next time :D.

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I am pretty sure it is the cpu and not the mobo. I had an issue where my cpu died and I did not get any response from my motherboard. Well I ended up rma-ing my board and getting a new one. What a mistake that was. Paying for shipping and wasting time waiting for the board. Also the mobo that they replaced it with had high NB and SB temps compared to the old one. Finally when I tried out the new board it still didn't work. My last option was the CPU and after swapping that out presto all was good.

electrohouser818

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
yeah it was the cpu. got myself an athlon x2 64 5600+. muchhhh faster than the 4200+ i had :D
overclocked it to 3ghz, but it automatically goes back to 2.9 after i restart the system like 2 times 0_o any ideas?
i have the Abit AN52V motherboard.