Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cooling
  • Fan
  • Intel i5
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
October 20, 2011 8:18:27 PM

Hey folks, new to the forums and hoping y'all can help me with my heating dilemma in my new build.

After much deliberation, and a great deal of indecision, I've decided my new Sandy Bridge build is going to make it's home in an NZXT Phantom. It's going to have an i5 2500k, 8GBs of G-Skill Sniper DDR3, and one Asus GTX 560 Ti with the very strong possibility of a second 560 Ti being thrown into the mix at a later date. I'm planning on OC'ing the i5 to between 4.0 and 4.2 GHz, but wouldn't mind knowing I had the cooling headroom to possibly push it 4.5 GHz.

Now to my dilemma: The Phantom has an ample 180mm of space to fit a big old tower CPU cooler. So I figured I'd drop a Noctua NH-D14 in there and never worry about CPU heat or fan noise again. The problem is I want to connect a Coolermaster 200mm fan to the side panel to push more air to the graphics cards and that cuts down my CPU cooler room to a scant 150mm. If I opted for the side fan I'd end up using the shallower, but not as effective, Noctua NH-C12P top-down cooler for the CPU.

So my question: Do I not worry about the side fan and go for the super awesome beefy tower cooler? Or do I keep my graphics cards in mind, strap the 200mm fan to the side panel, and use the less effective top-down CPU cooler?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

More about : overclocked 2500k sli 560 noctua c12p side fan

October 20, 2011 9:02:21 PM

If your not overclocking your GPU stick with the d14 and stock side fan.
Score
October 20, 2011 9:11:12 PM

vigilante212 said:
If your not overclocking your GPU stick with the d14 and stock side fan.

There is no stock side fan. Well, there's two 120mm fans in the bottom left of the side panel over the HDD cages, but the 200mm side fan in front of the mobo is optional. So my options are the DH14 and no 200mm side fan at all, or the C12P and a 200mm side fan.
Score
Related resources
October 20, 2011 10:26:50 PM

I just bought 2 120mm CM fans and they run loud as hell. I would def go for a 200m. I'm thinking of putting the two 120 on the top and the 200 that is on the top now and swapperoo because the 120's move 79 cfm ea.
Score

Best solution

a c 183 K Overclocking
October 21, 2011 5:42:44 AM

bkchurch said:
Hey folks, new to the forums and hoping y'all can help me with my heating dilemma in my new build.

After much deliberation, and a great deal of indecision, I've decided my new Sandy Bridge build is going to make it's home in an NZXT Phantom. It's going to have an i5 2500k, 8GBs of G-Skill Sniper DDR3, and one Asus GTX 560 Ti with the very strong possibility of a second 560 Ti being thrown into the mix at a later date. I'm planning on OC'ing the i5 to between 4.0 and 4.2 GHz, but wouldn't mind knowing I had the cooling headroom to possibly push it 4.5 GHz.

Now to my dilemma: The Phantom has an ample 180mm of space to fit a big old tower CPU cooler. So I figured I'd drop a Noctua NH-D14 in there and never worry about CPU heat or fan noise again. The problem is I want to connect a Coolermaster 200mm fan to the side panel to push more air to the graphics cards and that cuts down my CPU cooler room to a scant 150mm. If I opted for the side fan I'd end up using the shallower, but not as effective, Noctua NH-C12P top-down cooler for the CPU.

So my question: Do I not worry about the side fan and go for the super awesome beefy tower cooler? Or do I keep my graphics cards in mind, strap the 200mm fan to the side panel, and use the less effective top-down CPU cooler?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

If you want the best of both worlds go with the side fan and top down.
With everything put in perspective a C12P is going to cool a 2500K easy.
Hell the stock cooler is good to 4 - 4.4 GHz no problem.
I doubt you'll hit 70C on Prime95 with a heavy oc on a C12P.
October 21, 2011 7:53:38 PM

Best answer selected by BKChurch.
Score
October 21, 2011 7:55:58 PM

davcon said:
If you want the best of both worlds go with the side fan and top down.
With everything put in perspective a C12P is going to cool a 2500K easy.
Hell the stock cooler is good to 4 - 4.4 GHz no problem.
I doubt you'll hit 70C on Prime95 with a heavy oc on a C12P.

I suppose that settles it then. If the C12P can remain that cool up to ~4.2GHz I'll be a happy camper. In which case I may as well go that route and feed my GPU(s) some more fresh air. Thanks.
Score
a c 183 K Overclocking
October 21, 2011 8:11:19 PM

bkchurch said:
I suppose that settles it then. If the C12P can remain that cool up to ~4.2GHz I'll be a happy camper. In which case I may as well go that route and feed my GPU(s) some more fresh air. Thanks.

You'll have awesome temps on the cpu.
I was away from the forums for the entire summer and noticed i've missed a trend here with users obsessed with huge coolers for SB cpu's.
I'm not going to argue with people about what they want or feel they need,it's their money afterall.
But $30-50 coolers are fine for SB.
You could take your cpu well over 4.5+ GHz easy with that cooler.
The big tower coolers were designed for i7 920-990x.
Enjoy your rig and thx for the BA:) 
Score
a c 239 K Overclocking
October 23, 2011 1:38:05 AM

This topic has been closed by 4ryan6
Score
!