Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What Is AMD's Equivalent To Intel's i5?

Last response: in CPUs
November 13, 2009 12:02:18 AM

I'm was about to start on a build for a friend, but I thought I'd ask first to see if I can get somthing better at the same price, or the same at a lower price from AMD.

Thanks!

More about : amd equivalent intel

a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 13, 2009 3:40:08 AM

What are the other components in the system?
What will the computer be used for?
If gaming, what games?
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2009 4:46:27 AM

i5 is your best bet (nothing from AMD is quite equivalent to i5, except for gaming on Phenom II 955 in most occasions).

If you don't want to spend ~$200 or more on a CPU then go AMD.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2009 5:26:56 AM

The top Phenoms are pretty close.
November 13, 2009 6:22:00 AM

if your budget is 200$ for the cpu , i would sincerely recommend the following :-

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail 199.99$

for single video cards , this mobo with one gpu slot :-

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail 104.99$

if you need sli/xfire , then this :-

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail 169.99

this memory is 1333 mhz and has low latency 7-7-7-21 :-

OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1333LV4GK - Retail
November 13, 2009 11:16:49 AM

cjl said:
The top Phenoms are pretty close.

So AMD really hasn't got much against i5 let along i7 have they?
November 13, 2009 11:24:09 AM

Raidur said:
i5 is your best bet (nothing from AMD is quite equivalent to i5, except for gaming on Phenom II 955 in most occasions).

Cool, what would you suggest for a build? Has to be as low as possible. SLI/Crossfire if possible. I want to compare the two.

Currently I had in mind:

CPU: i5
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1600 Generic Ram (ebay)
GPU: GTS250
MoB: Biostar T5 XE Intel P55 LGA1156
PSU: 600W OCZ StelthXtreme.
November 13, 2009 11:27:22 AM

O and before you ask, the motherboard I'm getting for 80 bucks from my local PC store. They've actually gone bust and selling stuff at half price.
November 13, 2009 4:45:04 PM

that mobo is ok but dont think crossfire or sli because the second gpu slot runs at x4 mode which would hamper performance by a big margin . you'll be fine with any gpu on the first slot , have you considered the 4870 1 gb version ? its better than the gts 250 and only a bit more in price .
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2009 4:47:56 PM

Yeah, if you want CF/SLI be sure to get one that supports 16x/4x and 8x/8x switching. Normally that is the mid and high end ones.
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2009 8:20:42 PM

Raidur said:

Yup, I expected a crappost like this. Anyway, the competitor to I5 is Phenom II 945. All CPUs above annihilate it.
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2009 8:22:10 PM

godbrother said:
So AMD really hasn't got much against i5 let along i7 have they?

Only to the lowest end I7 - 920. Not the higher end CPUs, as the I7 is MUCH architecturally superior and works better at the same clock speed. However, in gaming they would be equal (even C2Q would) and PII would even beat it many times.
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2009 9:22:13 PM

Lol, your an idiot Cry.
November 15, 2009 3:13:21 AM

Cryslayer80 said:
Only to the lowest end I7 - 920. Not the higher end CPUs, as the I7 is MUCH architecturally superior and works better at the same clock speed. However, in gaming they would be equal (even C2Q would) and PII would even beat it many times.

What build would you suggest? The cheapest, but the best of the cheapest?
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2009 9:48:41 AM

godbrother said:
I'm was about to start on a build for a friend, but I thought I'd ask first to see if I can get somthing better at the same price, or the same at a lower price from AMD.

Thanks!

NONE!

i5-750 v.s. PII-955 (note: LOWER is better in some cases)

In US: i5 is better at both performance and cost-performance ratio

In NZ(Since last week): PII-955 is better regarding cp ratio, but still worse than i5.
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2009 9:58:57 AM

godbrother said:
What build would you suggest? The cheapest, but the best of the cheapest?

The cheapest will never be the best! I think you are talking about the best cost-performance ratio at the price range you are looking at.

If that's the case, i5-750 is the best in the US. The other way round in the rest of the world though!

In conclusion, i5 FTW in the US but PII-955 FTW in the rest of the world!
November 15, 2009 11:59:12 AM

but in india its cheaper to get i5 750 than 955 . the phenom is close to its launch price , and perhaps this has something to do with low sales volume . u.s price drops are seldom reflected here .
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2009 12:30:21 PM

cyberkuberiah said:
but in india its cheaper to get i5 750 than 955 . the phenom is close to its launch price , and perhaps this has something to do with low sales volume . u.s price drops are seldom reflected here .

Good for you guys then! You are getting something better at cheaper price.
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2009 2:03:48 PM

Raidur said:
Lol, your an idiot Cry.

Thanks! If such a compliment comes from the stupidest f'ing idiot in the universe, I am flattered! :p  That sentence would sound like this from a normal person: "Cry, you are the greatest omnipotent being created in the entire world!" I mean, thank you for the flattering. But you shouldn't. I'm just a normal person (un)like you!
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2009 2:05:48 PM

andy5174 said:
NONE!

i5-750 v.s. PII-955 (note: LOWER is better in some cases)

In US: i5 is better at both performance and cost-performance ratio

In NZ(Since last week): PII-955 is better regarding cp ratio, but still worse than i5.

Lol what sob noobs. PII>I7 in games. Simple and true. And about I5, you can go rub it with the picture of it.

http://www.modreactor.com/english/Reviews/Test-ATI-HD-4...
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/pii_...
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2009 3:44:22 PM

Cryslayer80 said:
Lol what sob noobs. PII>I7 in games. Simple and true. And about I5, you can go rub it with the picture of it.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/pii_...

Cry you are the only person on this forum that thinks that, and you're not convincing anybody. You can't let the 2 or 3 benchmarks you found trick you to think that Phenom II is some amazing gem. I'd post some benchmarks but you'll just look past them and think, "Hm, Intel probably paid those guys off." Fact: 90% of benchmarks point to i5. Fact: 98% of benchmarks point to i7. Now, you attacked ME. If all you want to do in this forum is to go around trolling people's threads you should do us all a favor and LEAVE. AMDzone has a nice spot for people like you right in their neat little pageant.
November 15, 2009 4:24:34 PM

Has anyone a clue when AMD will realese their i7 equivalent? If so, what would the rough price be?
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2009 4:45:50 PM

godbrother said:
Has anyone a clue when AMD will realese their i7 equivalent? If so, what would the rough price be?

That's easy.
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2009 4:46:12 PM

If it is gaming performance you speak of godbrother, the Phenom II 955 is equivalent for most low to midhigh end GPU setups.

It is next to impossible for us to guess when they will have a true equivalent to i7. Since they are just matching C2Q (even though I personally think C2Q has an advantage after OCing) right now I'd guess it would take a good 2-3 years at least, and it may cost around $200 if AMD keeps doing the pricing awesomeness they have been doing. :) 
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2009 4:48:49 PM

Since they are just matching C2Q (even though I personally think C2Q has an advantage after OCing)

Yes, since you are an ignorant noob owning an inferior Core2 Quad. And the fact that PII is light years ahead of your CPU is hurting your ego, right? 2-3 years? Now I see how bad and complex your situation is.
November 15, 2009 4:53:29 PM

Cryslayer80 said:
That's easy.

When? If in the next few months, I'll hold back intill then.
November 15, 2009 4:54:11 PM

Please, no flaming guys. I'm just trying to get informed. No need for propaganda wars.
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2009 5:01:31 PM

Cry: A clock for clock comparison between our CPUs,

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=48&p2=88

Hm, 29 wins for C2Q and 1 maybe 2 for Phenom II. Do my eyes betray me? o.O

godbrother, what cry is trying to say is that Phenom II already matches i7, or in his opinion, beats i7.

Since you are getting mixed information you may as well look it up yourself. Do a google search for i7 vs phenom II, or even look at tom's charts. As for when Phenom II will have an equal to i7, its too hard to say.
November 15, 2009 5:03:40 PM

I am sorta aware that PII is no match for i7, thats why I mentioned i5 in the main post to see when they'll bring out somthing that will match it/beat it. And the other question was the i7 equivalent to AMD?
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2009 5:11:57 PM

Ah. Yeah its too hard to tell if you ask me, someone else might have a better idea. 2-3 years is my guess.
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2009 6:08:07 PM

I guess you have serious mental damage if you AT LEAST don't think new AMD hexacores are gonna kick the c**p out of any i7.
November 15, 2009 6:22:42 PM

Ugh did no one read the AMD financial day slideshow? They are coming out with an equivalent in summer 2010. They said they were ahead of schedule with almost all there new tech, and this should be even more true with the 1.25 billion they got from intel. Also Bulldozer is coming out late next year (like november/december, remember ahead of schedule). Bulldozer is definitely going to decimate an i7 based on the tech specs they gave out at the conference- 8 cores, 16 with their new version of smt (ofcourse this is the high end)
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2009 6:52:30 PM

yannifb said:
Ugh did no one read the AMD financial day slideshow? They are coming out with an equivalent in summer 2010. They said they were ahead of schedule with almost all there new tech, and this should be even more true with the 1.25 billion they got from intel. Also Bulldozer is coming out late next year (like november/december, remember ahead of schedule). Bulldozer is definitely going to decimate an i7 based on the tech specs they gave out at the conference- 8 cores, 16 with their new version of smt (ofcourse this is the high end)

But no no, AMD is not going to have an answer for I7 at least another 4 years! Intel da god!
November 15, 2009 7:33:03 PM

What I don't get is, why is AMD always fallen behind like this. I've personally always wanted to build an AMD rig for myself, but they are always late or offer you somthing below what there is on the market.

AMD was cool before Core 2 Duo came around, ever since then they've fallen behind.

Hopefully AT LEAST they MIGHT bring out the new AMD for the same price as what intel will have there i7 at when realesed. I'm guessing there will be a VERY large fall in prices by summer 010.
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2009 7:48:01 PM

Because Intel is the original large chipmaker while AMD was made a year after to reduce monopoly. AMD had (and has) less factories, engineers and money. And to this point they haven't improved (they even sold their last fab, now they rely on GlobalFoundries). That is the why.

And you can build an AMD rig today, there is nothing wrong with it.
November 15, 2009 7:59:26 PM

Cryslayer80 said:
I guess you have serious mental damage if you AT LEAST don't think new AMD hexacores are gonna kick the c**p out of any i7.

Well it kinda depends on the area you're looking into. If its gaming, benchmarks probably won't be any different than they are now (about equal to each other). In media it will probably surpass it by at least 20%. But then you're back to the same argument, except the roles are reversed.

Intel will have i7 at the same gaming capacity as Thuban but will cost less. It will lose in media applications but don't forget, it'll cost less. Hopefully you don't turn things around once Thuban is release. By that time, we will see that in terms of gaming, i7 will have a larger cost to performance ratio in comparison the Thuban. The question is, what will you say then?
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2009 8:04:35 PM

You missed the point. This is not a core war thread, and I did not promote duals over quads. It is a different story. Thuban will be a new CPU which will cost more, but will be better. AMD will still have PII's for I7's. If I was stating that E8400 is a better value than some of the quads, your point would be valid. But, as I said, this is not core wars.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 15, 2009 8:10:42 PM

Cryslayer80 said:

Considering that a actual performance showing from AMD themselves (take it with a grain of salt) was showing a 30% increase over its current quad core CPUs in Cinebench (3D rendering) I would say it wont kick the crap out of a i7.

I think in gaming it will be the same. In everything else it will probably be near to equal with Core i7 in terms of performance.

Plusfor now its only a server CPU. The DT one wont come out till a bit after and by then Intels Core i9 will be out to play with the Phenom II X6. And that will be 6 cores + SMT so in everything but gaming Intel will get in the lead again.
November 15, 2009 8:12:02 PM

I thought we were talking about which CPU is better. I just made the comparison between i7 and Thuban, and PII and i7 to relate to what we have mostly been talking about. All your points are clearly indicated towards price and performance ratio in gaming.

Just as PII quads are equal to i7, i7 will probably be about equal to Thuban in gaming. Since there is a high chance that Thuban will cost more than i7, Thuban has a lower price to performance ratio in comparison to i7. That was my point. In your area of interest along, gaming, i7 will have a better price to performance ratio than Thuban. However, Thuban will be more advanced just as i7 is more advanced than PII.
November 15, 2009 8:17:15 PM

I looked very hard for an AMD equivalent to the Intel i5 750. Couldn't find one. Intel is, whether we like it or not, ahead technologically at the moment and this shows.

A gaming-focused, budget system might (or might not - it depends on current deals) get better performance for the buck with an AMD chip+motherboard. But that didn't happen for me.

I saw the i5 750 using max 95W, versus a high-end AMD chip's 120W or 145W. I want a low-consumption computer for both budget and environmental reasons. I also want to keep heat under control. Intel's got a better answer here than AMD for mid to upper level rigs.

It's hard to be sure which improves more in actual use when overclocked - the i5, or a high-end AMD chip. Given that the i5 turboboost feature seems to work so well with single and double-threaded apps (most of the software most of us her run including virtually all games), given that the i5 is getting such great gaming and productivity benchmarks even at stock clock, and given that professional reviewers uniformly find the chip to be a good, even great overclocker (with a decent motherboard), I'd be hard-pressed to recommend AMD to anyone who has the budget for the i5 750.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 15, 2009 8:19:53 PM

dna708 said:
I thought we were talking about which CPU is better. I just made the comparison between i7 and Thuban, and PII and i7 to relate to what we have mostly been talking about. All your points are clearly indicated towards price and performance ratio in gaming.

Just as PII quads are equal to i7, i7 will probably be about equal to Thuban in gaming. Since there is a high chance that Thuban will cost more than i7, Thuban has a lower price to performance ratio in comparison to i7. That was my point. In your area of interest along, gaming, i7 will have a better price to performance ratio than Thuban. However, Thuban will be more advanced just as i7 is more advanced than PII.

But when does Thuban come out? Remember Intel has a Tick-Tock strategy. Most likely by the time Thuban comes out, we will have Intels next arch or their 32nm CPUs.
November 15, 2009 8:42:23 PM

The new i9's will be 130W+

Does anyone know what they will call their 8 core CPU's? i10? i11?
November 15, 2009 8:44:53 PM

I think Q2 of 2010. i9 will be out before then (32nm). But cryslayer was comparing them to i7 so that's what I did. :-\
November 16, 2009 1:05:54 AM

what about far cry 2 ? it scales rather well with dual gpus (and nvidia scales better than ati) compared with many games and even gets a huge bump in fps with nehalem compared to even a q9550 , and at stock speeds .

amd benchmarks would come out in second part of that article , and it'll be interesting to see fc2 on that platform .

also , in dx11 there is multithreaded rendering , which would enable much better multi gpu performance , i for even more than 2 cards , as multirendering will allow engines to have built in support for them . then it would be nice to compare how all the quads perform (the directx api calls themselves run in a single thread now , only one rendering core is used , gta uses own rendering pipeline , but that aint too good on performance and eats cpu like a demon).

i am saying this because , suppose the gains are there then on future games (they just cant "patch" it easily for a thing like this , i am a dev myself ) , then it would perhaps enable 60 fps+ performance on the 100$ athlon2 620 :D  provided one has a sufficient gpu .
November 16, 2009 6:06:14 AM

andy5174 said:
You are just doing perfect as a loyal AMD fan boy!

Gosh ALWAYS the usual answers.
We give them intel boys some REAL benchmarks, some real PROVES, and the only thing they can answer is:
LOL FANBOYS.
Gosh it's seriously raging. Answer something CONSISTENT, or just keep it closed.

As to answer the OP, Depending on what you will do with your computer.
For Gaming:
Phenom II 955 is your best bet.
With a M4A785TD-M Evo
4GB DDR3.

For Anyother work:
i5,anymobo,4gb DDR3.

But if your gaming, and especially if you will do dual GPU configs, just go Phenom II 955. It usually performs same or better then i7.

Any other type of work, yes i5 is a pretty good deal. But beware, LGA 1156 is facing some REAL problem with overclocking. Usually, the socket will fry. This is why im staying far from i5.
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2009 6:20:59 AM

Thanks in part to the introduction of the i5 and its stellar price point, the AMD flagship ,965 b.e is now the same price as Intel's new cheap powerhouse. Anand called for this in his review of the i5 numerous times, pointing out the performance the i5 was showing w/o ANY o/c. Its us that are the winners with him doing this. Even AMD fanboys have to cheer with the price drop. So to answer the op,
AMD's flagship the 965= the I5
November 16, 2009 6:24:16 AM

Raidur said:
Cry you are the only person on this forum that thinks that, and you're not convincing anybody. You can't let the 2 or 3 benchmarks you found trick you to think that Phenom II is some amazing gem. I'd post some benchmarks but you'll just look past them and think, "Hm, Intel probably paid those guys off." Fact: 90% of benchmarks point to i5. Fact: 98% of benchmarks point to i7. Now, you attacked ME. If all you want to do in this forum is to go around trolling people's threads you should do us all a favor and LEAVE. AMDzone has a nice spot for people like you right in their neat little pageant.

First im gonna say that : Dont say something is a FACT if you don't prove it, and that means, posting it.

Second, your fact is not a fact apparently.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-x4-955,2278-...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-x4-955,2278-...
http://www.*****/charts/cpu.php?pid=69,70,71,76,77&tid=2
http://www.*****/charts/cpu.php?pid=69,70,71,76,77&tid=4
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=355...
http://www.trustedreviews.com/cpu-memory/review/2009/04...
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenom2_955/8.h...
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenom2_955/9.h...
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenom2_955/12....
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenom2_955/14....
http://www.techspot.com/review/162-amd-phenom2-x4-955/p...

I only see i7 920 either PERFORMING THE SAME AS PHENOM II 955, or PERFORMING LESS BETTER.
Also please don't mention the 1024x780 resolution in overclocker club.... nobody play at that res it's worthless.
I think this simple page will say everything about the performance of the i7 920 over the phenom II 955 in gaming :

http://www.techspot.com/review/162-amd-phenom2-x4-955/p...

Yes, i7 is godlike. IN LOW QUALITY GAMING :) 
All the benchmarks you will bring will only show i7 beating phenom II at either low res or low quality.
Apples to apples, i7=phenomII955 and that is, want it or not =)
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2009 6:50:02 AM

bboynatural said:
Gosh ALWAYS the usual answers.
We give them intel boys some REAL benchmarks, some real PROVES, and the only thing they can answer is:
LOL FANBOYS.
Gosh it's seriously raging. Answer something CONSISTENT, or just keep it closed.

As to answer the OP, Depending on what you will do with your computer.
For Gaming:
Phenom II 955 is your best bet.
With a M4A785TD-M Evo
4GB DDR3.

For Anyother work:
i5,anymobo,4gb DDR3.

But if your gaming, and especially if you will do dual GPU configs, just go Phenom II 955. It usually performs same or better then i7.

Any other type of work, yes i5 is a pretty good deal. But beware, LGA 1156 is facing some REAL problem with overclocking. Usually, the socket will fry. This is why im staying far from i5.

What you AMD fan boys can do is believing ONLY the very few sites which mistakenly stated that PII is better in gaming ignoring most other sites which state the TRUTH and INSULTING others when they don't agree with your none sense.

i5's 1156 socket problem was only with EXTREM OC(5GHz) and it is fixed at least on the Gigabyte P55A series m/b which use LOTE socket instead of Foxconn.

You AMD AM3 socket has INSANELY serious issue as it will burns at merely 4.2GHz!

PII can't even beat i5, not mention to i7, EVEN in gaming!

1. Anandtech
i5-750 vs PII-955 at Anandtech

2. Tom Hardware

It shows that i7-920 performs better even with worse graphic card! YOUR PII-955 WILL DEFINITELY WIN IF i7-920 WERE PAIRED WITH 8400GS and you are right in this case!

Crysis: i7-920 + HD4870 v.s PII-955 +HD4890

Far Cry2: i7-920 + HD4870 v.s PII-955 +HD4890

World In Conflict: i7-920 + HD4870 v.s PII-955 +HD4890

Stalker Clear Sky: i7-920 + HD4870 v.s PII-955 +HD4890

Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.: i7-920 + HD4870 v.s PII-955 +HD4890

Fallout 3: i7-920 + HD4870 v.s PII-955 +HD4890

Prototype: i7-920 + HD4870 v.s PII-955 +HD4890
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2009 6:56:32 AM

AMD fan boys always give dodgy reasons to support the PII-955:

1. Intel is cheating by making a 3.xx GHz CPU being a 2.66GHz:
Yes, Intel is cheating by selling you a 3GHz CPU for 2.66GHz price!

2. PII-955 is better than i5 as i5 burns out at 5GHz!
Yes, my Pentium 4 is better than i5 too as i5 burns at 5GHz!
!