Need new graphics card

Solution
No, it said you had a hardware FAILURE.

Normally this is an unstable overclock, or a memory or power (mostly to memory) problem. What did the file stress.txt say?

You can try and repeat this test running one stick of RAM, and then again with the other stick. Maybe one stick is bad.

What makes you think your OC is stable?

nun

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
well I got the video card back in January and it crashed off and one but stopped when i updated drivers then i put 2gb of ram in and starting crashing again so i ran mem test and my ram was fine, then i updated to win 7 and i think they came out with anoher update for my vid card and it stopped crashing though it would every once in a while, then i updated to a 1080p monitor and it started crashing again, switched to on board graphics and everything is working good absolutely 0 crashes which kind of confirmed it was my video card making problems . also i've wanted a new video card to game with for while now and i've i got a new shiny 1080p monitor :D

maybe you can try your 8400GS on another computer and see if troubles arise. long ago i have similar problem. it could be motherboard defect or your psu are not up to the task to power up your graphic card. in my case it was motherboard defect

anyway the card you pick is indeed good. just make sure your psu have enough power to power up the card

sardarbalu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
I agree with renz because either way getting a new graphics card will probably not solve your problem, unless its not your motherboard or psu, then it might be your graphics card.

nun

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
ok well i have a 585 watt power supply is that enough for my needs, also thanks for your help i will try to find a computer to put test that graphics card in

Still not enough info. If you were crashing in games, it might be heat or power.

If you were crashing at idle, it might be power.

Running onboard graphics lowers both heat generated and power required, so it says nothing really about your vid card being the problem.

Prime95 stress test (with RealTemp watching temps and "Rounding Errors" checked) will do more to test your memory than memtest.

You have time to check these things before springing for a new vid card - unless you want it anyhow lol. Just bear in mind you may need a new psu, too. If so, get a Corsair, Antec Earthwatts, PCP&C, or Seasonic.

nun

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
ok it was crashing in games like portal and when i went full screen on things such as youtube. when it crashed it made a weird noise and i had to force power it off and it. i'll run that stress test with my onbaord graphics and if it crashes that could confirm its not my graphics card??

nun

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
[Sep 9 19:56] Worker starting
[Sep 9 19:56] Setting affinity to run worker on logical CPU #1
[Sep 9 19:56] Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
[Sep 9 19:56] Please read stress.txt. Choose Test/Stop to end this test.
[Sep 9 19:56] Test 1, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922945 using FFT length 1024K.
[Sep 9 19:56] FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
[Sep 9 19:56] Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
[Sep 9 19:56] Torture Test ran 0 minutes - 1 errors, 0 warnings.
[Sep 9 19:56] Worker stopped.

those are the results of the prime 95 but it said my hardware was incompatible?

No, it said you had a hardware FAILURE.

Normally this is an unstable overclock, or a memory or power (mostly to memory) problem. What did the file stress.txt say?

You can try and repeat this test running one stick of RAM, and then again with the other stick. Maybe one stick is bad.

What makes you think your OC is stable?

Solution

darkvine

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I currently have a EVGA 8400gs in my crappy Dell.

Works fine and doesn't heat up at all, and that should be more then enough power, they hardly pull any at all.

Try the card in a different PICe slot, it should be crashing in youtube.....

nun

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
ok i have put my proccesor back to stock speeds and ran prime 95 for a while and no errors. i think im going to buy that graphics card thanks for everyones help