Sign in with
Your question

Just overclocked to 4.5

Last response: in Overclocking
October 21, 2011 12:50:35 AM

Does everything look fine? :o 

The only stress test I have done so far is SuperPi, ran fine. 8 seconds on 1million.

Thanks.

Edit: Just got a BSOD, so I am guessing I need to up voltage?

More about : overclocked

a b K Overclocking
October 21, 2011 1:16:21 AM

Run something like Prime95 (8+ Hours without error and ur fine)

btw ur image dosnt work.
m
l
October 21, 2011 1:22:20 AM

HugoStiglitz said:
Run something like Prime95 (8+ Hours without error and ur fine)

btw ur image dosnt work.

I just got a BSOD, error 124 or something.
Is this to do with my voltage?

This is the image link, try clicking it.
http://oi52.tinypic.com/28wfofm.jpg
m
l
Related resources
a c 138 K Overclocking
October 21, 2011 1:54:58 AM

Be very careful with your voltage , but yes you may need some and only go one increment at a time so as to not over volt untill it is stable and do not go over 1.36v. The cpu can handle over 1.36v but you will shorten the life of it. I would do a lot of research on overclocking before going too much further , you don't sound very experienced.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 21, 2011 1:57:55 AM

Uhhhhhh, Sylvan. You have to take the pics of benchmarks while the test is actually RUNNING!
Those HW monitor numbers look like a normally running CPU at stock speeds.
m
l
October 21, 2011 2:18:34 AM

Stock speed?
No, it's overclocked.

Do you mean idle speed?

Also Inzone, I am doing that now.
I am @ 1.30v right now
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 21, 2011 2:23:23 AM

its all good to boot to windows with a high overclock, putting stress through the system thats another issue.

yes you will find you will have to play with the Vcore and even have to drop ur multiplier down (clock speed) until u reach a stable mark. (~8 hours prime95)
m
l
a c 138 K Overclocking
October 21, 2011 2:25:24 AM

Ok , but just be careful , you wouldn't want to fry that nice cpu. The reason I had suggested reading up on overclocking is because there are a lot of adjustmemts that can be made to achieve a great stable overclock. I don't have the same cpu as you do and one of the adjustments other than the cpu core voltage was the v-core voltage and just by increasing that one notch made a big difference in my overclock.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 21, 2011 2:41:18 AM

Again voltage does not do anything to CPU's, heat does. Keep the heat down and you can add as much voltage as you like. So monitor temps and you will be fine.

72.6 seems to be the max temp, mind you that is no reason to run it at that tempurature.
m
l
October 21, 2011 2:53:29 AM

spentshells said:
Again voltage does not do anything to CPU's, heat does. Keep the heat down and you can add as much voltage as you like. So monitor temps and you will be fine.

No, that is completely false. High voltage (above 1.35-1.4 V for a 2500k) can kill a processor in a few months. It causes electromagnetism of the circuits. This is where materially physically moves to another part of the circuit.

Info taken from the "But is Automatic Overclocking Safer?" section
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/automatic-overclock...
m
l
October 21, 2011 3:05:08 AM

I am being careful, I am not going to increase values above their recommended highs :p 

That being said, I am having a hard time stabilizing.

I thought 4.5Ghz was a moderate clock?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 21, 2011 4:01:25 AM

soccerdocks said:
No, that is completely false. High voltage (above 1.35-1.4 V for a 2500k) can kill a processor in a few months. It causes electromagnetism of the circuits. This is where materially physically moves to another part of the circuit.

Info taken from the "But is Automatic Overclocking Safer?" section
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/automatic-overclock...

No Im sorry it is not false, you will want to read up on it some more. Im not trying to be rude here it seems you really need to look into it a bit more.

There are people running these chips stable over 1.4 all over the world with water cooling setups.

Just go to just about any forum and you will find someone. I work with a guy who was using an old I7 920 at 1.6v (like an idiot) with no issues and temps around 62 C no problem 8 threads full load. (except that it was way to much voltage) for his 4.2 GHZ OC he could have easily brought it down but after a month he just had no use for it. As he just downloads movies and runs his whole house (entretainment) with it.
m
l
!