Sign in with
Your question

2 optical drives BIOS configuration

Last response: in Motherboards
February 9, 2010 8:49:19 PM

Hello,
I just bought an LG CH08 Blu-Ray Drive and I connected it via SATA cable on my motherboard. It's on slot labelled Sata_2, because Sata_0 is taken by my HDD and SATA_1 by my other optical drive, a Sony DVD-RW. I have winXp and SATA AHCI option disabled so i Think my Sata connections work as PATA, am I right? And the BIOS reports on Master 0 the HDD with Slave 0 the LG blu-ray and on Master 1 the Sony DVD-RW. Is that OK? Any problems for my blu-ray and blu-ray movie playback from disks if the LG is set to Slave. (I don't even know how to set it on Master)
a c 236 V Motherboard
February 9, 2010 9:03:22 PM

You can't set a SATA drive as Master or Slave; it's determined by the SATA port number. Did you even try your blu-ray drive? Unless it's defective, it will work fine.
February 10, 2010 10:57:26 AM

Unless the SATA AHCI option is disabled in BIOS. That will make them work as IDE drives, I'm kinda sure of that.
Related resources
a c 236 V Motherboard
February 10, 2010 11:20:01 AM

When the controller is set to IDE mode, it doesn't make the drives work as IDE drives; they still are SATA drives. Setting the controller to IDE mode forces it to present the drives as IDE to the OS, nothing else.
February 10, 2010 11:36:12 AM

Thanks for the super fast reply!
So, it's nothing to worry about if I see them in BIOS as master ( HDD and Sony DVDRW) and Slave ( LG Blu-ray)?
a c 236 V Motherboard
February 10, 2010 12:30:46 PM

That's correct.
February 10, 2010 3:17:03 PM

Ok, thanks a lot, this one is solved.
I don't want to start another thread, but, as I said, I run Win XP and my BD Disks don't show in windows explorer. However they play just fine with ArcSoft Total Media Theatre 3. I read that Xp can't recognise UDF 2.5 disks, like BD and that I need some Toshiba drivers to update to that version. I found some (I can't seem to find them on toshiba website) and I have the instructions on how to install them. My question: can they be harmful to my PC?
a c 236 V Motherboard
February 10, 2010 3:45:41 PM

If they are released by Toshiba, I would trust them.
!