I\'m currently using Asus p4v8x-mx Motherboard with Inno3d Geforce FX5500 and it

a1drich

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I\'m currently using Asus p4v8x-mx Motherboard with Inno3d Geforce FX5500 and it works. I change the video card to Geforce 6800 and i installed the driver successfully. when my window now reboots, it logs on perfectly then automatically shuts down after a few minutes. It may be the cpu temperature. What could be the problem? can a vid card cause a cpu to heat up?

Solution
hmmm, funny thing is now...that particular problem will come mainly from the OS as i faced that problem a long time ago, a warning/error message and then the system would shutdown jus as though u clicked - start > shutdown.

did u check in bios?

a1drich

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Im unable to check right now, Ill do it when i get home. I also remembered at one point it displayed that CPU is too hot. its a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz processor. When i reattached and reinstalled the FX 5500, it worked fine. Can a change in Vid Card cause a processor to heat up?

a1drich

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
what i mean in "automatically shuts down after a few minutes" is that it shuts down as if i clicked start > shutdown. It even does the shutdown sound. i also saw CPU is too hot.

a1drich

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I found out I have an ATX 500W Power Supply. So i get this message first before it starts the shutdown process "Warning, Temperature too high! Please check your fan and heatsink"

This only happens when i use my Geforce 6800. i have no issues when using FX 5500

Is this a GPU or a Motherboard problem? what can i do about it?

phantomandy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
Not to point out the obvious, but have you checked the CPU fan and heatsink to ensure the CPU fan is running? If the CPU is overheating then there's a problem that's most likely related to the heatsink or fan.

I'm not sure why the video card would make a difference. The 500watt PSU should be more than enough power most likely.

Check to see if the CPU fan is spinning when powered on.

Lutfij

Titan
hey there! welcome!

try to boot into Bios and check your CPU temp as well as your cpu fan speed, and have it in that state for 10 mins...that should tell you and us a lot! hmm and your grafix cards power req are anything above 400W.

get back with the temps and well see :)

Lutfij

Titan
hmmm, funny thing is now...that particular problem will come mainly from the OS as i faced that problem a long time ago, a warning/error message and then the system would shutdown jus as though u clicked - start > shutdown.

did u check in bios?

Solution