Help Me Please Will This Power My Q6600 and 8800GT?

s4w2e0d

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I've Got a Few Problems.. If Anyone Could take their time and read this it would be very much appreciated!

Heres My Specs

Geforce 8800GT
Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
4.00 GB RAM
Vista 64-bit
688GB Hard Drive

So my fans been speeding up really fast and they're making a lot of noise for the past couple weeks.
I also noticed the power supply is very hot and it kinda smells like burning plastic.
I Dusted out the fan and everything and it made the fan noise and speed go away for a few days..

Then today i tried playing Call Of Duty MW2 and now its getting so hot that it shuts down my computer completely and smells like burning really bad

So Then i open it up dust it out again, and realize that the power supply fan is not spinning, So I'm Hoping its just my fan burnt out.

I've been reading online about what power supply's people are recommending

And I don't want to go all out just to find this power supply, I just wanna go to best buy and buy one, But i don't know if this one will be good enough.

when i first bought my computer they told me i needed a better power supply so they gave me some 550 watt one I'm not sure what name brand it was(it bad obviously lol) It's only a year old computer..

Here's the PSU I'm looking at

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair+-+650W+ATX+CPU+Power+Supply/9358269.p?id=1218090911783&skuId=9358269&st=power%20supply&cp=1&lp=5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Input Current 10A
Output +3.3V@24A,+5V@30A,+12V@52A,-12V@0.8A,+5VSB@3.0

Will this work for my system? Please help me.
Any answers or other recommendations from best buy that would be better? or should i travel around for a better power supply? I'm so confused

s4w2e0d

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Great! So Is it bad if i go overkill? I will probably upgrade my video card to a 260GTX later so should i still go with the 650W one or for 10$ more the 750W one?

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.

ATX is the acronym for an international standard for pc component configurations. The international standard makes it easier for manufacturers to produce different components that are compatible with each other.

The HX and TX identify different Corsair models and are not related to ATX. The HX models are modular power supplies. The TX models are non-modular power supplies. Corsair also has CX and VX models.

Lucius - In the USA all Corsair power supplies come with a 5 year warranty.

s4w2e0d

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Nice! damn im confused again, i don't know if bestbuy carries the HX520W but if they do would it be better then a 550W ATX? I'm not really smart with this stuff, volts, and amps but i think they both have 40A to the +12V So if i find the HX-520 should i pick that one up?

s4w2e0d

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
yeah I'm going to drive there, and around tomorrow, if that's the one you guys recommend(your the pros) I'm gonna find it

thanks a lot for all of the help i could barely finish typing this my computer keeps shutting off :( i will post back a ton of thanks when i get this thing working again, thank you all very much your wonderfull help

Lucius - Interesting. The three HX models that come with a 7 year warranty are new with new 80+ certifications. Two are silver certified while the third is bronze certified. Looks like Corsair is improving the energy efficiency and jumping on the green bandwagon. The other four HX models come with a 5 year warranty.