Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Advice on Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 20, 2009 12:05:04 PM

Hello everybody,

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Sep 09

BUDGET RANGE: AUS $2500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Photo's and gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:

PARTS PREFERENCES: i7 920,

OVERCLOCKING: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 22" 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am looking at up grading my current system with something that will last me a number of years.

Here is what I come up with, and would appreciate advice:

CPU: i7 920

MOBO: ASUS Pt6 Deluxe V2

RAM: Cosair Dominator DDR3 1600 2gb x 3

HDD: WD 1TB Black x 2

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V10

PSU: Cooler Master M1000 watt

CASE: Cooler Master ATCS 840

Video Card: ASUS4890 Formula 1gb

OS: Windows Vista 32-bit w/ free upgrade to 7

Any advice or suggestion would be appreciated.


More about : advice build

August 20, 2009 12:42:21 PM

^ Hi...

If you are not overclocking, then you wont need these things...
1. Corsair Dominator
2. CM V10

And not this if you are not planning to have 4 HD 4890s
- CM 1000W

The stock cooler is actually suffice for the stock speeds...but having an aftermarket CPU cooler is better...
Xig Dark knight

RAM - Get the Corsair low CAS instead of the Dominators..,
Or the OCZ with XMP profiles...

PSU - Get the Corsair 750TX...It is more than suffice for 2 HD 4890s...

And 6GB of RAM is totally usless if you are having a 32-bit OS...Get the 64-bit version of the WIN...
August 20, 2009 2:00:07 PM

Hi, Thanks for that. I currently have a CPU Intel Q9550, MOBO ASUS P5Q Deluxe, CM 850W, 2 x HD 4870 512mb in a CM stacker 830 case and find it to get hot. Is it that the Xig Dark knight is a better CPU cooler or the cost against what is being used?

I am also not up on the main difference between the 64-bit compaired to the 32-bit, could you explain?

Thanks
Related resources
August 20, 2009 2:12:15 PM

32-bit OS can only address up to 3.5 GB, If you don't go 64-bit, the extra RAM you plan on buying won't be doing any good.

While I agree that the Xigmatek Dark knight cooler is better, and entirely optional for a stock build, if you are concerned about ambient case temperature, you need to improve airflow with better intake and exhaust fans, and improved cable management. The improved aftermarket CPU cooler is just taking the heat off your motherboard and CPU, and dumping it into your case interior.
August 21, 2009 4:27:48 AM

@Peter F You can reuse most of the components from that build of yours...

1. Graphics card - Don't get the HD 4890...2x HD 4870 would perform far better than a single HD 4890...

2. Power supply - If that power supply is not very old, it has enough juice for 2x HD 4890s too...

3. I dont think you would notice major difference in terms of cooling going with the ATC compared to the Stacker...So it is better to reuse it...

And wathman has pretty much clearly explained the OS and heat issues...
August 21, 2009 5:03:48 AM

You already have a very good RIG.
Why are you planning to upgrade now?

Wait a bit for upgrade.
August 21, 2009 9:09:50 AM

gkay09 said:
@Peter F You can reuse most of the components from that build of yours...

1. Graphics card - Don't get the HD 4890...2x HD 4870 would perform far better than a single HD 4890...

2. Power supply - If that power supply is not very old, it has enough juice for 2x HD 4890s too...

3. I dont think you would notice major difference in terms of cooling going with the ATC compared to the Stacker...So it is better to reuse it...

And wathman has pretty much clearly explained the OS and heat issues...


I normally hand-down my computer too the wife and then hers goes to the daughter. I can get 2 x 4870 512mb for the same price as 1 x 4890 1gb if they perform better.
I was reading that the CM M1000 gets a hot and was thinking of obtaining another CM 850. Looked a a calculator for power site and you a correct that I would have more than enough power.
Will look at the case as the CPU cooler seems to be the main requirement for size.
Thank you for that.
August 21, 2009 9:16:24 AM

shubham1401 said:
You already have a very good RIG.
Why are you planning to upgrade now?

Wait a bit for upgrade.


Hi

In my family there is a hand down process that sees my old gear pass along. I was looking to get something that I would not have to upgrade for some time. I am not big into games but like Diablo and would like to have a good machine for Diablo 3 and for photo editing.

I can get the same build I currently have for around $400 Aus cheaper but thought the i7 would be the better option.

Any ideas
August 21, 2009 9:37:06 AM

If the 4870s are going to another PC, then its fine...get the HD 4890...
But try to spend under $200 or less for now in the graphics department as newer cards are arriving by September...
Or if you are not an extreme gamer, I would recommend that you take out 1 HD 4870 from your old rig and reuse it for now...
By the time, Diablo 3 arrives, am sure there would be faster cards...So you can then upgrade to it...But its your call...

And as for the PSU, I would suggest better quality ones from Corsair/ PCP& S/ Sliverstone/ Seasonic...

About the CPU cooler, I suggested the Xig Dark knight because for stock settings, you might not find any major difference between those coolers...
August 21, 2009 10:27:15 AM

Nice part choices. +1 for not spending a fortune on a GPU - new ones soon.
August 22, 2009 12:27:40 AM

gkay09 said:
If the 4870s are going to another PC, then its fine...get the HD 4890...
But try to spend under $200 or less for now in the graphics department as newer cards are arriving by September...
Or if you are not an extreme gamer, I would recommend that you take out 1 HD 4870 from your old rig and reuse it for now...
By the time, Diablo 3 arrives, am sure there would be faster cards...So you can then upgrade to it...But its your call...

And as for the PSU, I would suggest better quality ones from Corsair/ PCP& S/ Sliverstone/ Seasonic...

About the CPU cooler, I suggested the Xig Dark knight because for stock settings, you might not find any major difference between those coolers...


Thanks again, Could you advise me on which site to find information on new video cards coming out?
August 22, 2009 1:31:52 AM

These are supposedly substantiated rumors from an unidentified source, half of the tech blogs out there have been repeating it so it's probably true. The blog I read it on was maximumpc.com a few days ago. http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/new_gpus_amd_and_.... If you check out ATI's website, you might find some early press releases, but there won't be too many details.
!