Sign in with
Your question

P55a-UD3 - Bios and Beeps

Last response: in Motherboards
February 10, 2010 12:43:52 AM

Trying to see if it's my setup or other people are experiencing this.

Setup:
Mobo: Gigabyte P55a-UD3
CPU: Intel i5 750
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1600
PSW: Antec Earthwatt 500

BIOS
F2 & F4:
One problem is that in both these BIOS revisions I would get a random beep from the PC internal which seemed to be associated to the CPU changing C3/C6/C7 state. The other (which I haven't verified) is that when C3/C6/C7 is enabled the HD access seems to be slower. But I haven't found a benchmark yet to test this.

However, all other functions are fine. My mild OC is stable with a 166 BLK, x20 and turbo enabled. Never get a BSOD once I found the right settings, passes memtest 86+ and prime 95 stress tests fine. Voltages have been left on auto for all tests since I haven't found the problems as of yet. FYI: I want all the power saving features on as this is a computer that stays on 10-15 hours a day.

F5:
Seems the beeps (which are really annoying!) from the PC internal are gone however with the same overclock settings I get the BSOD for memory errors or just a dump error. I declocked my RAM to make sure it wasn't the core problem and I still get BSOD's in Windows 7 while browsing. The system does pass fine though 10 hours of Prime95 and made 10 passes though memtest 86+ w/o any errors with the same settings as the F2/F4 BIOS. I have tried declocking it back to 100% stock levels and it seems stable but I didn't run it more than a day like that so I will have to try that again possibly in the future.

I just switched back to F4 for the time being after declocking my computer down to 150 BLK and getting the BSOD in F5. Testing now to see if the C3/C6/C7 is the cause of the beeps but I'm curious if anyone else with this mobo has had these types of errors or if I'm solo on this one? Though I'm content with the F4 revision IF I'm able to get rid of the beeps!

More about : p55a ud3 bios beeps

a c 156 V Motherboard
February 10, 2010 3:24:46 PM

vaga13ond said:

Voltages have been left on auto for all tests since I haven't found the problems as of yet. FYI: I want all the power saving features on as this is a computer that stays on 10-15 hours a day.

In that case, you need to manually set the vcore. You are almost certainly running the CPU core voltage higher than you need.
m
l
February 10, 2010 10:52:08 PM

I understand that and setting the Vcore will be on the list of things to do once I get it stable and not beeping. I figure that auto at this mild OC shouldn't cause any problems at this point and later once I know everything is stable speed/timing wise I'll start lowering the Vcore and RAM voltage.
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2010 2:19:44 AM

No one else is using this mobo?
m
l
February 18, 2010 12:58:46 PM

I have a GA-P55A-UD4 and I also get these random beeps. I updated my BIOS to F7, but it didn't change anything.
My System runs perfectly stable even after hours of gaming. My PSU is a Corsair 650 W, so power should be stable.
I haven't touched any voltage settings in the BIOS, since I'm not an overclocker and I have no idea of that kind of stuff.
I guess I'll run Memtest later, but actually it seems unlikely that there's hardware damage when I can play Crysis without crashing for hours.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 21, 2010 12:03:27 AM

I have a GA-P55A-UD4P Rev 1.0, I7-860, WD Caviar Black 1TB (AHCI No raid), 4GB Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1339 10600 DDR3, OCZ 650w, Gigabye 4670 , Windows 7 (upgrade) with the same problem. I also just went up to F7 and still have the random beep. It's driving me nuts! I sent an email to Gigabyte support describing this but I'm not holding my breath. Voltages, test of memory, bios fan/temp warning etc all good. I have a feeling finding this one is going to be hard.
m
l
February 21, 2010 12:45:31 AM

Hey, this morning I turned off C1E/2/3/4... EIST, Turbo Boost and set the memory whatever mode where it said turbo to standard. Haven't had any beeps so far. Don't really know a lot about this boost and memory stuff, but right now, my CPU is fast enough for all games and if I don't encounter any more beeps, I'll just leave the settings like that, unless I need some extra power.
m
l
February 22, 2010 2:44:55 AM

Did you have the CPU warning temperature option set?
m
l
February 22, 2010 6:28:37 AM

Yes I had, but I don't think that the CPU overheating was the cause of the beeps. First, the beeps were just as frequent when idling in Windows as when gaming, and second, the beeps were not that loud and long. I mean, I heard 'em when browsing the web, but I didn't really hear them when gaming with my headset on. My guess is that overheating beeps are continuous and loud, so you hear it and change something.
m
l
February 22, 2010 7:14:36 AM

If you had enabled the CPU temp warning, the beep you heard from the buzzer was caused by this. Intel processor has internal bug with the digital thermal sensor when C3/6/7 enabled, it occasionally generates false value that triggered off the CPU temp warning in ITE chip used on the board. Disable C3/6/7 will override this annoying problem, or just simply disable the CPU temp warning, there's no workarounds posted by Intel so far.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 24, 2010 6:50:00 PM

vaga13ond said:
I understand that and setting the Vcore will be on the list of things to do once I get it stable and not beeping. I figure that auto at this mild OC shouldn't cause any problems at this point and later once I know everything is stable speed/timing wise I'll start lowering the Vcore and RAM voltage.

The stability issue could be a change in how voltage is set between BIOSes. With F4 and your overclock in place, what does CPU-Z report for your voltage? Under stock and load? When you next upgrade the BIOS, check again and see what the values are now. Or start setting by hand so you know at what V it should work.
m
l
February 27, 2010 12:54:03 AM

It does report voltages and they remain similar on load and off load while overclocked and stock speeds.

I had my CPU temps warning turned off along with C3/C6/C7 and now flashing back to F4 (from F5) it's working w/o the beeps for some reason and it's back to the settings I had before on F4... F5 for whatever reason is terrible for overclocking. I couldn't even get a mild overclock (~140 BLK x20) stable with all the power settings enabled. On F4 I'm able to get 166 BLK x20 + turbo enabled stable. I haven't tried much more since I figured that 4Ghz in turbo mode was good enough.

So I'm not sure if they changed the F4 BIOS or not after releasing the F5 but for whatever reason F4 works for me now and F5 is just unstable for overclocking.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 27, 2010 8:03:08 PM

You can use the Dynamic Vcore (DVID) setting to enable to run the board to run with less V at idle. Dynamic Vcore (DVID) setting allows dynamic voltage reduction of VCore between idle and overclocked modes. To activate, please follow these steps:

On the Advanced Voltage Settings Tab:

CPU VCore = set to Normal (from Auto or actual stable overclocked voltage, 1.3000V for example)

Dynamic VCore = select the additional extra voltage which is required to reach stability from stock voltage (1.19375V for example) to required overclocked voltage at specified overclocked frequency. In practice:

CPU Vcore = Normal (nominal voltage of 1.19375V)
Dynamic VCore (DVID) = +0.10625
Effective CPU Vcore at Load = still 1.3000V (now able to lower voltages in idle mode to 0.9600V)

*** Dynamic VCore does not work if CPU VCore is set to Auto or to an actual voltage number. Therefore, to get Dynamic VCore to work in idle mode when CPU is manually overclocked, the CPU Vcore MUST be set to Normal first *** Don't forget to set all Voltage Power Saving technologies (i.e., C3-C7 states, EIST, etc. ) to Enabled.
m
l
July 12, 2010 12:32:02 AM

Here's what worked for me with MY random beeping events, which:

• were happening with ANY browser use (Firefox 3.6x, 3.5x, and IE8 32 & 64 bit versions, so not browser-specific or Flash-related)

• had only been occurring for a few hours when I started troubleshooting last night (however, a System Restore to a prior point had no effect)

• happened again immediately upon first browser use this morning (therefore not a CPU overheating issue)

• were Windows .wav beeps (coming through the speakers), not motherboard-failure beeps.

I was up until 2:30 a.m. doing all the above analysis/troubleshooting, then decided to sleep on it. When the cold boot this morning proved it wasn't an overheated PC, I got a strong hunch it was recently installed software...but not a plug-in, or a different browser without that plug-in should have been beep-free.

So, I asked myself, what had I installed recently that could be triggering this beeping? Turned out to be a little freeware network traffic monitoring program, BitMeter 2, that was set by default to provide AUDIO notifications of any up/download traffic over 1Mb (which is not a very large amount, the way I surf!). A quick click in BitMeter's Settings disabled that pesky beep, and so - just to do my part for community sanity - I'm posting this info on some of the many forums where I Googled while troubleshooting.

Hope that this info will help you solve your BEEPING problems, or at least spark some ideas. Good luck!
m
l
August 14, 2010 7:29:44 AM

Fatbird said:
If you had enabled the CPU temp warning, the beep you heard from the buzzer was caused by this. Intel processor has internal bug with the digital thermal sensor when C3/6/7 enabled, it occasionally generates false value that triggered off the CPU temp warning in ITE chip used on the board. Disable C3/6/7 will override this annoying problem, or just simply disable the CPU temp warning, there's no workarounds posted by Intel so far.

Thank you very much for that info! After trying all kinds of tweaks and keeping HardwareMonitor open so I could immediately look at it each time the computer beeped (and finding nothing obvious that would cause any monitor to beep), I disabled the CPU temp warning last night, and several hours of use later, I have yet to hear a beep!

Is it really an Intel bug? :o  Wow. And here I, and others, have been cursing Gigabyte! :pt1cable: 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2010 3:16:14 AM

Don't normally like to help keep alive old threads, but seems I'm making exceptions today.

Saw a similar discussion just yesterday over here: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2093181

Give that a read. But synopsis is: On one hand it's Intels fault. On the other they've apparently given a way to work around the issue. Theory among forum posters is that other motherboard makers have implemented the work around - the evidence supposedly that no one but Gigabyte board owners are complaining (I haven't bothered checking into this) - therefore Gigabyte could make a BIOS fix so it is their problem.

Me, I don't have a case speaker so couldn't tell you if I suffer from this. Problem solved.
m
l
!