Should I upgrade?

OCuser

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2003
I have two BFG 8800 GTX cards running in SLI and I was thinking of upgrading to a single GTX 260. I've been searching for benchmarks that shows cards in SLI, but haven't found anything recent that shows two 8800 GTX in SLI up against a single GTX 260. I've had the two card for about a 1.5 years now and they run great. Is the GTX 260 that much better? Is it really going to be worth it to upgrade or should I just wait for the next generation?

Solution
I highly doubt you'd see any kind of performance increase going from two 8800GTXs to a single GTX260; you might even see a performance decrease in some situations. I'd wait until the next-gen (DirectX11) cards come out before you upgrade. When the new cards come out, I'd try selling your GTXs individually on eBay; you should be able to get some decent money for them from people who already have a single 8800GTX and want to go SLI.

Just my 2 cents...
are having any trouble running any games you play using that card? if no then you should keep it and wait for next gen since you don't need extra power. the reason to wait is the next gen will be more powerful and its around the corner. so when you get that you may keep it a little more longer than current gen card

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I highly doubt you'd see any kind of performance increase going from two 8800GTXs to a single GTX260; you might even see a performance decrease in some situations. I'd wait until the next-gen (DirectX11) cards come out before you upgrade. When the new cards come out, I'd try selling your GTXs individually on eBay; you should be able to get some decent money for them from people who already have a single 8800GTX and want to go SLI.

Just my 2 cents...

Solution