I7 860 Turbo mode / OC

Hi,

I'm planning to assemble a new rig with the i7 860 mainly for gaming and movie watching.

I want to know if I can run the Turbo Mode all the time - all reviews state that the turbo mode is excellent for gaming. Is it designed to be run permanently?

Also, I'm planning to buy either the Intel P55 motherboard or MSI P55 GD80. While I'm not an overclocker, can I run the OC Genie (MSI auto OC) instead of the Turbo Mode 24/7? Basically, I just want to squeeze maximum fps from my games. Assuming that I employ adequate cooling, can I run the OC Genie permanently?
6 answers Last reply
More about turbo mode
  1. Can someone answer me please? I know its kinda basic, but I'm new to overclocking.
  2. Turbo mode is meant to run 24/7. As for overclocking, I tend not to trust those auto-OC programs like the MSI OC genie. Either leave it on stock settings (turbo included), or overclock manually.
  3. What turbo mode does is take programs that only use 1 core and turn the speed up on that single core so that program runs faster. You'll want to leave that option on 24/7 if you don't OC.

If you aren't going to OC, then don't worry about the genie, just leave it in the bottle.

If you want the MAX FSP from your games, you may want to consider OCing the CPU. That will add more performance than to all applications, multi thread or single. Check out the Overclocking section to see if that something you want to get into.

As for your CPU choice, if all you do is game and watch movies, I'd suggest getting the i5 750 instead and spend the extra $80 on a better graphics card. That will have better performance than the 860 with a lesser GPU. If you do OC, both CPUs will perform about the same in games, just one cost less. Depending on the OC, you might not want Turbo on, but that's a discussion we'll deal with if you do OC.
  4. Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it.

I guess turbo mode is good enough for me (just want the maximum GHz with minimum effort). I chose the i7 860 because of the extra 0.4 GHz during Turbo Mode over the i5 750. I'd rather save money by buying an entry level P55 motherboard, considering that I won't be overclocking.
  5. I'd still pick the i5 750 for gaming even if the turbo is a touch more on the 860. The difference the CPU will make at that point is very small compared to what $80 can do added to the video card budget. At the bottom, the 860 and 750 are benched for games. The 860 on top does minimally better, but you're talking frame rates that have no effect on what you'll see on screen.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=108&p2=109

As for ease of extra speed, a basic OC can be changing just one number in your bios and get your 750 to 3ghz normal and turbo 3.16ghz. A small easy OC like that won't need any extra fans and can use the intel HSF that comes with the CPU.

Here's the OC guide for the i5/7 series. There's a lot of info in there to help get the MAX overclock out of your chip, but if you're looking for something moderate, like 3-3.2ghz, all you need to do is step 4. That's it. The choice is yours.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253365-29-core-overclocking-guide
  6. skora said:
    I'd still pick the i5 750 for gaming even if the turbo is a touch more on the 860. The difference the CPU will make at that point is very small compared to what $80 can do added to the video card budget. At the bottom, the 860 and 750 are benched for games. The 860 on top does minimally better, but you're talking frame rates that have no effect on what you'll see on screen.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=108&p2=109

As for ease of extra speed, a basic OC can be changing just one number in your bios and get your 750 to 3ghz normal and turbo 3.16ghz. A small easy OC like that won't need any extra fans and can use the intel HSF that comes with the CPU.

Here's the OC guide for the i5/7 series. There's a lot of info in there to help get the MAX overclock out of your chip, but if you're looking for something moderate, like 3-3.2ghz, all you need to do is step 4. That's it. The choice is yours.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253365-29-core-overclocking-guide

Thanks for that answer. Everything is much clearer now. And that OC guide is invaluable.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming Intel i7