GeekMe

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Hi,

Sometimes my computer decides to go into "Power Saving Mode" this is what's displayed on my monitor and then I cannot wake it up to use the computer again. You can hit any key on keyboard and the computer will not display anything until you physically power off the computer an power it back on.

I have replaced the video card thinking that the video card had been faulty nut the problem still exists.

Is there a software tool that I can install to try and pinpoint the problem as it is becoming frustrating.

If anyone has any other suggestions on how to find out what the problem is, please say.

FallenSniper

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
Right click your desktop ---> properties ---> Screensaver ---> Power. Then change all the drop down menus to never.

That's how you do it within windows at least. I suppose it's possible its a power saving option within your bios...but try that first and see if it works.

johnmoney

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I have seen where there are power saving modes in the monitor as well. If this happens again, try unplugging the power to the monitor and plugging it back in. Also, maybe check for power saving settings on the monitor itself.

GeekMe

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

Folks,

This happens when I'm working away on the pc and all of a sudden the screen goes blank but the pc is still running. It also happens on startup as well. I sut down the pc come back the next day and when I power it on i get no display on the monitor but the pc is still going through it's boot process.

Any thoughts and ideas are welcomed.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
My LG has a "SOURCE" button which basically switches between digital and analog. My laptop is connected analog, but the screen goes blank with message "digital power saving mode", hitting the SOURCE button awakens analog mode again and you can see your desktop.