Sign in with
Your question

My computer keeps restarting, and wont boot from disk. HELP!

Last response: in Windows XP
January 27, 2012 3:30:07 PM

Ok so a few days ago my wife seems to have gotten some boot virus on her computer.... at any rate, the computer is stuck in a constant cycle of restarting. Safe mode will not work. That said, ive decided to try booting from disk but for some reason I cant! It just says "strike f1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"

Ive gone and changed the boot sequence so that the cd rom is first, but for some reason it STILL wont work. Im doing this from a burned backup cd r disk, and ive tried a cd rw, and a dvd r backup too. NONE OF IT WORKS! Also I cant boot to utility partition as it just restarts. Ive been pulling my hair out for days over this issue. I cant take it anymore! Someone please help me??? The computer is a Dell Dimension 2400 but I doubt that means anything anyways. Please refrain from suggesting safe mode, utility partition, and boot sequence as none of these options will work. Ive been trying for days now. Can anyone out there help me? :( 
January 27, 2012 6:16:53 PM

Dlazell said:
Ok so a few days ago my wife seems to have gotten some boot virus on her computer.... at any rate, the computer is stuck in a constant cycle of restarting. Safe mode will not work. That said, ive decided to try booting from disk but for some reason I cant! It just says "strike f1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"

Ive gone and changed the boot sequence so that the cd rom is first, but for some reason it STILL wont work. Im doing this from a burned backup cd r disk, and ive tried a cd rw, and a dvd r backup too. NONE OF IT WORKS! Also I cant boot to utility partition as it just restarts. Ive been pulling my hair out for days over this issue. I cant take it anymore! Someone please help me??? The computer is a Dell Dimension 2400 but I doubt that means anything anyways. Please refrain from suggesting safe mode, utility partition, and boot sequence as none of these options will work. Ive been trying for days now. Can anyone out there help me? :( 

Remove ram sticks, then insert only one, and boot.
Could be a memory problem causing you grief.
m
l
January 27, 2012 6:46:53 PM

Well I appreciate you trying to help, and the fast response. Unfortunately that did not solve my problem. Any other suggestions? :( 
m
l
Related resources
January 28, 2012 3:26:43 AM

Dlazell said:
Well I appreciate you trying to help, and the fast response. Unfortunately that did not solve my problem. Any other suggestions? :( 

Bummer ! When something this severe happens, booting from the individual sticks of RAM has a decent chance of fixing problem.

While in setup, changing boot sequence, did you check configuration of hard drives etc to ensure they are correct, eg, IDE/Sata ?

Was the virus successfully removed ? I am assuming it wasn't, with the situation you are currently in. Do you have another computer you can hang the drive in as a slave to scan for infections , or save personal files bring up disk management to check file system, drive status, etc?

Installing XP on a newly formatted ntfs HD may be your next step.

m
l
January 28, 2012 2:50:09 PM

ksiemb said:
Bummer ! When something this severe happens, booting from the individual sticks of RAM has a decent chance of fixing problem.

While in setup, changing boot sequence, did you check configuration of hard drives etc to ensure they are correct, eg, IDE/Sata ?

Was the virus successfully removed ? I am assuming it wasn't, with the situation you are currently in. Do you have another computer you can hang the drive in as a slave to scan for infections , or save personal files bring up disk management to check file system, drive status, etc?

Installing XP on a newly formatted ntfs HD may be your next step.

Well, I hate to say it... but I dont know what you mean by IDE / SATA although as I look at the bios it says that the disc drive is IDE. I also do in fact have the capability of using another computer but im not sure how to set up a slave drive either :/  Explain?
m
l
January 28, 2012 7:01:09 PM

Dlazell said:
Well, I hate to say it... but I dont know what you mean by IDE / SATA although as I look at the bios it says that the disc drive is IDE. I also do in fact have the capability of using another computer but im not sure how to set up a slave drive either :/  Explain?

Download a owner/user manual for your PC computer model. They have section for replacing hardware.
In a nutshell:
1 - Shutdown & Turn off power on both computers. Open cases.
2 - Unhook power connector & data cable of HD. (Careful not to bend pins)
3 - Change Jumper setting on HD to "cs" Cable Select), if not already set.
(Little white/black plastic cap on pins next to Power connection)
(Needle nose pliers & magnifying glass helps) :lol: 
On the other computer
4 - Connect HD to data cable connector (one further back on cable.)
Then connect Power connector & secure HD.
m
l
!