Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Oil Sleeve bearing case fans...

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2009 7:07:25 AM

I have 2 sleeve bearing case fans which I reused from my previous build.
They are 6 years old.

Both of them make noise but one has started making sharp grinding noise.

I read on internet that I can add 1 drop sewing machine oil in the front hole (under the sticker) and it will be fine.

I did so.
The fan has quieten and runs without a Sound!!

But I was worried if the oil will spill or leak in my case if not absorbed by the fan.
Are there any risks doing so?

Currently my PC side panel is open with than fan running on it.
a c 144 ) Power supply
November 13, 2009 11:28:16 AM

I'd replace the fans with more modern fans. Six years on sleeve bearings is enough.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2009 12:09:07 PM

One drop on a fan bearing is quite sufficient and not too much so don't worry about excess oil spraying out. However, I agree with jsc. The bearings will dry out and start having problems again, and there's a limit how long you can keep on adding oil. Prepare to replace, and this time go ball bearings if you plan to keep those fans.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2009 12:13:26 PM

Yea I am well aware that ball bearings will be better and I will get those next time.

Last question:
The other fan always spinned at ridiculous speeds(RPM).Airflow was also amazing with it.
But when I removed the sticker on it I found that there was some OIL already leaked there.
Here I need your suggestion.

Is it safe to Oil this one too?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2009 12:15:24 PM

In the space around the end f the bearing/shaft and covered by the sticker there always will be a small amount of oil - enough to make it look slightly damp. If there is a lot of oil there, that would be weird. So unless there's a lot already, adding one drop is fine.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2009 3:16:04 PM

Okay thanx for your help.
Just closed the case's side panel with both fans on.

I will keep them until they die.
m
l
!