Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Hi community.

I've just set up my new PC:

Asus P6X58D Premium Motherboard
I7 920 2.67Ghz
6G (3 x 2G) Corsair Dominator 1600
Corsair 750W Power Supply
GeForce 7100GS (HD5870 hasn't come in the mail yet)

Pretty clean first boot but I've got a couple of concerns:

My system is only recognizing 4 gigs of memory,
and I get a message "No Hard Drive Disk Detected!" when booting, just before booting to the Hard Drive Disk that I'm having no problems with otherwise.

Checked BIOS boot order, it recognizes the drive and I set it to 1st boot priority. What's with that message? Also the RAM thing.

Thanks community.

Verify that each stick of RAM is firmly seated into the slot; the little clips on the board should close with a click when they engage the RAM.

Not sure about the BIOS HDD message, especially since it booted after POST. What is the HDD? SATA? PATA/IDE? If it's SATA is it plugged into the Intel Southbridge or the JMicron controller? See Pages 2-2 and 2-3 of your manual.

taxicrab

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Alright, I booted up and got 6 Gigs of memory recognized, so I shut down again and tweaked the Dominators up to the recommended 1600 in BIOS (I7 defaults them to 1066), froze playing minesweeper, restarted, and am back at 4 Gigs.

What?

Jie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Check these threads...There seems to be an issue with Asus Mobos and X58. All that is needed is some voltage tweaks, unless you have some bad RAM or Mobo. I was having the same issue with my Asus Rampage II Gene and it turned out that I had a bad stick of RAM. I tweaked a few things in the Bios from the below link and all my RAM was recognized.

http://i4memory.com/f54/asus-x58-6-12gb-memory-overclocking-detecting-less-memory-than-installed-19200/