shovenose

Distinguished
previously, i had a biostar "p4m890-m7 pci-e" motherboard. now i have an intel "d955xbx" motherboard. my psu, an Ultra 550W modular, has a 4-pin cpu power connector anda 24-pin main power connector. however the new motherboard (well actually its used) needs an 8-pin cpu connector in addition to the standard 24-pin connector. i have tried to use this motherboard with just the 4pin connector. however, it doesnt work. no video (tried with geforce 6800 ultra edition pci-express and a pci radeon 7500) no beepas from internal speaker, so i assume the 4pin isnt good enough. do i need an adapter? thanks. i dont know what to do, or what i need, or if i killed the mobo, or if, since i got it used / untested ( i can return it no problem) it was dead before i got it.

wlaziu

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
You can try to put the 4 pin connector into the right part of the 8 pin socket, but not all motherboards will support that.
something like that:
..xx
..xx
x is where you put the 4 pin socket

shovenose

Distinguished
oh well i trued what wlaziu said, it didnt work. i bought an adapter for $12 at the local familyowned elaectronics store, it didnt help. ill return the mobo to where i got it, ge my 40 bucks back, and just get a different one!!! thanks for the help.

If they will take it back you're better off, mine was $40 new including shipping from geeks.com.
The extra's it came with were almost worth the cost;
8 UV reactive SATA
Round UV reactive IDE and FDD
4 to 8 pin adapter
3.5 in front panel USB/Firewire/Sound.
Rear expansion USB.

I use mostly Asus boards, they come with a 4 pin cover over half of the 8 pin connector, that tell's me I don't really need the use of an 8 pin connector.

This is the one and only Intel board I have used and it didn't come with a cover over half of the 8 pin connector, with all of the included accessories you'd think that little piece of plastic would be there.

I'm not really a big fan of "RTFM" but I do it, here's a couple of quotes;

"Failure to use the appropriate power supply and/or not connecting the 12v (2x4) power connector may result in damage to the board or the system may not function properly"

"Connect the 12v processor core voltage power supply cable to the 2x4 connector. Use the 2x2 to 2x4 adapter if needed."

There's drawing showing an 8 pin cable to the MB, and a 4 pin cable to the 4 to 8 pin adapter to the MB that accompanies both quotes.

Seems to me kind of like a 6+2 pcie connector, doesn't really increase the amount of power but the extra pins send a signal.

I could be wrong, but with no vid card on the board right now I can't test it with just a 4 pin, I will as soon as I can.

In shovenoses case I'd think he either got a bad adapter ( don't know how that could happen but I've heard it before ) or simply a bad board ( more probable ).