Logic Skill Development - Chess Tables

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

When a Sim plays chess with another Sim, both Sim develop Logic skill if
they're both playable Sims. In such a case, does the speed at which the
lower-skilled Sim learns get modified based on the other Sim's skill, or
is it strictly based on the Sim's own skill level?

It would make sense (perhaps as a patch, or in the Nightlife EP) for the
other Sim's skill to make a difference; my experience in real life is
that I learn more from better players, and the 'betterer' they are, the
more I learn.

--
Jeff Zeitlin
jzeitlin@cyburban.com

Jeff Zeitlin wrote:

> It would make sense (perhaps as a patch, or in the Nightlife EP) for the
> other Sim's skill to make a difference

I agree.

ToolPackinMama wrote:
> Jeff Zeitlin wrote:
>

>> It would make sense (perhaps as a patch, or in the Nightlife EP) for the
>> other Sim's skill to make a difference
>

> I agree.

TPM, where have you been???

--
--Cuth

Jeff Zeitlin wrote:
> When a Sim plays chess with another Sim, both Sim develop Logic skill if
> they're both playable Sims.

If they both playable Sims? Does that mean if one plays chess with the
maid, the maid doesn't develop any points?

--
--Cuth

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:43:36 -0400, Jeff Zeitlin <jzeitlin@cyburban.com>
wrote:

> When a Sim plays chess with another Sim, both Sim develop Logic skill if
> they're both playable Sims. In such a case, does the speed at which the
> lower-skilled Sim learns get modified based on the other Sim's skill, or
> is it strictly based on the Sim's own skill level?
>
> It would make sense (perhaps as a patch, or in the Nightlife EP) for the
> other Sim's skill to make a difference; my experience in real life is
> that I learn more from better players, and the 'betterer' they are, the
> more I learn.

But this would be a break with how skill increases happen in all other
studies, which is a function only of the time spent and the skill level.
This would confuse all players except the ones who have read your
proposal. ^_^* A better solution would be to have separate teaching
games, in the same way as you can teach using some of the career rewards.

good sign." -G

Cuthbert Gurdlestone <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Jeff Zeitlin wrote:
>> When a Sim plays chess with another Sim, both Sim develop Logic skill if
>> they're both playable Sims.

>If they both playable Sims? Does that mean if one plays chess with the
>maid, the maid doesn't develop any points?

If you don't have a hack that allow all sims to develop skills, and/or
one that allows skill development on community lots (might be the same
one), that's correct - or at least there's no way to tell if the NPC
Sims are developing skills.

I happen to have the community lot skills development hack, and NPCs
will develop skills, but that didn't seem to be the case for NPCs
without it.

--
Jeff Zeitlin
jzeitlin@cyburban.com

Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:43:36 -0400, Jeff Zeitlin <jzeitlin@cyburban.com>
>wrote:

>> When a Sim plays chess with another Sim, both Sim develop Logic skill if
>> they're both playable Sims. In such a case, does the speed at which the
>> lower-skilled Sim learns get modified based on the other Sim's skill, or
>> is it strictly based on the Sim's own skill level?

>> It would make sense (perhaps as a patch, or in the Nightlife EP) for the
>> other Sim's skill to make a difference; my experience in real life is
>> that I learn more from better players, and the 'betterer' they are, the
>> more I learn.

>But this would be a break with how skill increases happen in all other
>studies, which is a function only of the time spent and the skill level.
>This would confuse all players except the ones who have read your
>proposal. ^_^* A better solution would be to have separate teaching
>games, in the same way as you can teach using some of the career rewards.

On the other hand, you CAN have a Sim act as a personal trainer (body
skill) for another, and the trained Sim will develop the point faster.
And pre-adult Sims that go to school can ask for homework help, and get
the homework done faster (and thus develop study skill faster) - but
both of those may be University EP effects. I'm simply proposing to
extend that model; when you play chess against someone better than you,
that person is, in effect, a 'trainer' for you.

--
Jeff Zeitlin
jzeitlin@cyburban.com

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:56:00 -0400, Jeff Zeitlin <jzeitlin@cyburban.com>
wrote:

> On the other hand, you CAN have a Sim act as a personal trainer (body
> skill) for another, and the trained Sim will develop the point faster.
> And pre-adult Sims that go to school can ask for homework help, and get
> the homework done faster (and thus develop study skill faster) - but
> both of those may be University EP effects. I'm simply proposing to
> extend that model; when you play chess against someone better than you,
> that person is, in effect, a 'trainer' for you.

Yes, it should be a separate option. I don't know chess well, but in Go
training games are separate events. Of course you learn from ordinary
games as well, but training games are much more effective. So I think it
would be natural to have it as an option on the same pie menu.

good sign." -G

Jeff Zeitlin wrote:
>> On the other hand, you CAN have a Sim act as a personal trainer (body
> skill) for another, and the trained Sim will develop the point faster.
> And pre-adult Sims that go to school can ask for homework help, and
> get the homework done faster (and thus develop study skill faster) -
> but both of those may be University EP effects.

Just the personal trainer one needs the University EP. With Sim kids if you
help them with their homework for one full assignment they learn to study.
You don't really need to help them after that.

Gareeth

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:08:08 GMT, Gareeth <Gareethnews@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Just the personal trainer one needs the University EP. With Sim kids if
> you
> help them with their homework for one full assignment they learn to
> study.
> You don't really need to help them after that.

Not really, but they lose a lot less fun when they do homework with an
adult. Not sure if it is because they finish faster. It also builds the
relationship, especially when the kid is the one that asks.

good sign." -G