Different vrams in crossfire?

dredsilver

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Hey folks, before I go upgrading to a better GPU with +1gb vram, I'd like to know if I buy a second 4850 with 1gb (I currently have a 4850 with 512mb) and crossfire them, will I get the ram I'm looking for or will I get bottled to 512mb?

I think it might also depend on which slot the 1gb is in, correct?

I'm asking because I want to play GTA4 on higher settings but it's a ram hog, and with 2 4850s crossfired I should have more than enough gpu power.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
You can defiantly use the two cards together.
Unfortunately, you will still have only 512Mb of usable RAM regardless of which card is the primary.

A quick, simplified explanation.
As both cards will be working in tandem, they will require identical information to be stored in the RAM of each card.
As it is kinda hard to store 1Gb of data on a card that only has 512Mb, the extra 512Mb of RAM on the 1Gb card will never receive data.

Get a 512Mb 4850 and save your self some cash (or wait for the 58xx announcements a little later :D).
You can defiantly use the two cards together.
Unfortunately, you will still have only 512Mb of usable RAM regardless of which card is the primary.

A quick, simplified explanation.
As both cards will be working in tandem, they will require identical information to be stored in the RAM of each card.
As it is kinda hard to store 1Gb of data on a card that only has 512Mb, the extra 512Mb of RAM on the 1Gb card will never receive data.

Get a 512Mb 4850 and save your self some cash (or wait for the 58xx announcements a little later :D).

Solution

dredsilver

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
yea i was afraid of that :(

okay, now if i had 2 4850s crossfired (even just at 512mb), am i gonna be able to play GTA4 better than it was running? granted I understand I'll have to turn some view distances and stuff down..

gta4 is such a hardware whore

dredsilver

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
1920x1200.... which is usually my big problem with gaming. if i was at the res under mine, i'd usually be fine.

the rest of my system:

Core2Duo E8400 @3.0ghz
4gb 1066 ram
ASUS P5Q Deluxe
WD Raptor X 150 10k rpm

I'm assuming you recommend I sit on buying a 4870/4890 1gb until the 58xx's come out?

Aren't they supposed to be released by the end of the year? Dx11 support as well? But that won't even be implemented until Windows 7 which is next October for me.

If you are thinking of upgrading your 4850 to something larger (as opposed to CrossFiring it), defiantly wait.
ATI's next generation is supposed to be announced today with availability before the end of the month.
From what I am hearing, they will be a significant upgrade and, yes, they will support DX11.

Here is another thought to make you feel better, even if you had both cards with 1 gig of memory, at the res you are running, you wouldn't notice any difference at all.
Right now, for the price, yes just toss another identical 4850 in for Crossfire.
That'll last you another year.

actually with GTA IV you will, i think if you max all of the settings it uses something 1.5GB of vram @ 1920x1080