Oct 12, 2010
Asus G73JW

Spec:
Intel i7 Q740
16 GB DDR2 Memory
nVidia 460M 1.5 GB Memory
OCZ 160 GB SSD

Secondary Drive: Seagate 500GB 7200RPM

My processor's been idling at 60-70 degrees even you start it up and don't use it.

I contacted Xotic PC which is who I went through to purchase it and ran a lot of test on CPU, Memory, and Hard Drives.
We tried:
Intel Processor diagnostic tool(64 bit): Passed
Seatools: Passed
MemTest: Passed

We also used prime95 32 & 64 bit and used CPUID to watch the temps. It never went over 72 Degrees. So we tried taking out the SSD and formating the Seagate and booting from it. Temps idle around 50 now, which from my knowledge is where it should.

I did a firmwire update to 1.33 on my OCZ Vertex 2 and nothing changed in temps.

I am not sure if this is a problem with the SSD or software on the SSD so I am going to try and reformat it.

Using the same software that I used to update the firmwire "OCZToolBox" http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/OCZ_Vertex_2,_Vertex_LE,_Agility_2/ there is a tab that's title security. Under that tab it says Wipe clean. Would this be the best option to reformat my SSD since I have heard of multiple things you should do when reformating an SSD.

Help Appreciated.

(1) Yes, before reinstalling windows on the SSD you should preform a "Secure erease". this restores the SSD to a Like New condition.

(2) The problem with temps is more likely do to a program runnin that is increasing the CPU utilizarion. You can check that in the performance tab.

CPU temps are affect by:
A. Frequency, or clock speed. Increase the speed and temp goes up. EX on a Sandybridge i5-2500k CPU the CPU freq is around 1.6 GHz, but as the cpu is loaded it kicks up to rated value.
B. Frequence held constant. as The CPU speed goes up so does temp. You could have a program that is on the SSD and not on your HDD that is running in the background causing a high CPU utilization. This is where The performance tab comes in handy - you can check the CPU utilization and you can look at programs/services and see if one of them is causing high utilization.
C. HSF eff and case cooling - But in your case that is a Constant that is the same for SSD and HDD.

Bottom Line. When you re-install Win 7 on the SSD get a base line temp. As you add back the programs that recheck temps (This is if B above didn't help to isolate the "Bad" guy).