Gigabyte or Asus? Which one fully support usb 3.0 and crossfire?

XZR

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

Asus P6X58D Premium

I heard the gigabytes UD3R's usb 3.0 get cancelled when using crossfire or sli? Does Asus Premium does the same?

thank you for your answers, would help me alot :)

abhishekk89

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
USB 3.0 has nothing to do with crossfire or SLI as stated by someone earlier.[/quotemsg]

earlier motherboard models from giga-byte implemented usb 3.0 from pci-e lanes... so ur bandwidth would reduce in cross fire..

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

Most of Gigabyte mainstream GA-P55A series motherboards and possibly some mainstream X58A series motherboards have problem with its SATA 3 and USB 3.0 solution. When using SATA 3 or USB 3.0, your single video card would be bottleneck to x8 mode and if you do crossfire or sli then the SATA 3 and USB 3.0 would automactically turn off. This is do to sharing the same PCIe circuit lanes which limits the video card's bandwidth when turning those new features on. :ouch:

I would recommend the ASUS P7P55D-E PRO + Core i7 860 + Dual DDR3 more since it has onboard SATA 3 and USB 3.0 and its solution is better because it won't bottleneck your PCIe x16 slot's bandwidth when using those new features and it would cost lesser than the X58 system and it could also outperform X58 + Core i7 920 + Triple DDR3... :ouch:

So far as I know, the only Gigabyte's motherboard that support SATA 3 and USB 3.0 without bottlenecking the video card or PCIe x16 slot's bandwidth is the newest flagship GA-P55A-UD7 but it would cost a lot.

Most of Gigabyte's mainstream P55A got screwed with that problem or being kinda defected due to flaw in design. :eek: