Hard Drive suddenly gone, unformatted in Disk Management

kph59

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I just bought a new WD Caviar Green 2TB internal hard drive (Model WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN) and installed it yesterday. Everything was running smooth once I formatted it to NTFS, and I moved about 150gb or so from my main C drive (1TB). Today, I find that it no longer shows up in My Computer, and is unformatted in Disk Management. I made sure to set the jumper correctly, so I hope I didn't just lose 150gb of stuff. Any ideas would be great. I'm running Windows 7 64bit. I can get pictures of Disk Management if it's needed.

Solution
This is a SATA 3.0 gig drive. There isn't any jumpers to set for master or slave. Are you sure you set it to 3.0 gigs. you may have to set it to what ever your motherboard supports. Do you have 3.0 ports or 6.0 ports on your board? Make sure it is plugged in to the correct port. http://www.piriform.com/recuva Try this program to recover your data. It is free

almartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
This is a SATA 3.0 gig drive. There isn't any jumpers to set for master or slave. Are you sure you set it to 3.0 gigs. you may have to set it to what ever your motherboard supports. Do you have 3.0 ports or 6.0 ports on your board? Make sure it is plugged in to the correct port. http://www.piriform.com/recuva Try this program to recover your data. It is free

Solution

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

In the DiskMgmt.msc. in the lower graphical section, please list the information you have there for this new HDD:

On the left side, in the Disk Status section, it should say Disk 1, Basic, 2 TB, Online - Rt click and select Properties, see if it says "this device is working properly"

To the right in the Volume Status section, it should say VolumeName, DriveLetter, 2 TB, Healthy(primary partition), or similar. Also list the color of the band above the Volume Status.

I assume it is a basic (static drive) partitioned it in 1 single partition, using NTFS with std allocation size of 4096, with no "unallocated" space at the end?
That may give us a clue as to what's going on.

kph59

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

Yes, you were 100% right. I'm obviously still new with Hard Drive, but removing the jumper set everything straight and left all files in tact. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to screw anything up. Thanks for your help.