Fan for a true? lapping and y splitter help?

chrisk_uk

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
hi everyone
got a few questions i need some advice on, im building a new pc soon and im wondering what fan to fans to get for my thermalright true black 120, which will be cooling a i7 920 @around 3.6, best rpm and fan would be nice to know, also my case is antec 1200, id also like to know if i could use a y splitter on the 2 fans so i can plug both of em into mobo to monitor? if no, what would u suggest i have monitored? the fan pulling or pushing the air? last question is ive got my true already and wont get rest of pc for a cpl of week, would it be worth lapping my true without lapping my cpu? i might lap cpu after ive give it some time make sure its ok, its a bit scary the thought of lapping cpu out the box without trying it 1st,

1, 2 fans for a true 120?

2, can i use a y splitter for both fans to monitor on mobo of a asus p6t v2 deluxe?

3, is it worth lapping my true without lapping cpu aswell?

In regard to the lapping, I would recommend lapping both the CPU and the TRUE. If you only lap one, you are essentially wasting your time. You want the copper on copper effect, which in turn makes a better surface for conducting heat off of the CPU. I've never lapped an i7, so I don't know how much cooler it will run. Never the less, there are plenty of guides on the net about lapping a CPU.

I lapped my Q9400 with 600 grit and 1000 grit sandpaper. You can go higher if you want a mirrored shine, but I just went for removing the top thermal layer. It took about 45 minutes and it lowered my idle temps from 34-35 to 26-27 degrees. At full load under intel burn test it doesn't even hit 55. Lapping does work, but remember, you're voiding the warranty on a pretty expensive CPU.

In regard to the lapping, I would recommend lapping both the CPU and the TRUE. If you only lap one, you are essentially wasting your time. You want the copper on copper effect, which in turn makes a better surface for conducting heat off of the CPU. I've never lapped an i7, so I don't know how much cooler it will run. Never the less, there are plenty of guides on the net about lapping a CPU.

I lapped my Q9400 with 600 grit and 1000 grit sandpaper. You can go higher if you want a mirrored shine, but I just went for removing the top thermal layer. It took about 45 minutes and it lowered my idle temps from 34-35 to 26-27 degrees. At full load under intel burn test it doesn't even hit 55. Lapping does work, but remember, you're voiding the warranty on a pretty expensive CPU.

I chose the Scythe S-Flex SFF21-F, the second fastest model as a compromise between airflow and noise, for my Q6600 (OC'd to 3.6 GHz).

I bought one of the earliest TRUE's on the market. Mine had a visible, off center bulge on the base. That's the only reason I lapped it. I did not lap the CPU.

When I mounted it in my Antec 900 case, I oriented it vertically so the fan blew upward toward the large case fan. I figured warm air wants to rise. Why fight physics?

I tried a push-pull configuration. It was a tight fit and had no significant effect on cooling. I tried all three speeds of the case fans. That also had no significant effect on cooling past LOW. Good thing too. With the case fans on HIGH, it sounds like a freakin' vacuum cleaner setting on the desk.