New build 1k-2k home entertainment system

sgowitt12

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Good evening! Newcomber here excited to build my 2nd system. I am putting together my list of parts needed for my new build. This will be my 2nd build(last one was in 2000, so I feel like a newb with all the new lingo).

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: By the end of the year.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Full home entertainment system(movies, web browsing, gaming). Would like full functionability in living room on 42 in lcd.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, speakers, mouse.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I have been looking on tigerdirect mostly, but am open to suggestions for best prices.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel processor(i7 is nice, or is that out of my league?), Asus mobo(used last time and loved it, open to suggestions for good pairing with intel). Still need help with better memory, hard drive, dvd(blu-ray), and video card brands.

OVERCLOCKING: Doubt it, SLI or crossfire?

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Not sure

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Once again, ultimate goal is to have a very nice, up to date computer system to watch movies, a little gaming, web browsing of course, listen to music. Plan to use this as a centralized entertainment system, I want movies, and music available at the click of a button.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

jbakerlent

Distinguished
I think the reason you aren't getting more responses is because your purchase date is "by the end of the year." It's almost impossible to recommend a build so far in advance. This is particularly true at this time because a lot of changes are on the horizon - Core i5, DX11, W7, etc. If you are planning on purchasing this month, also include a budget.

cal8949

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007
what size case are you going to get?
are you going to get a TV tuner?

i have built home theater systems before and the biggest mistake you can do is not making it quiet. just keep that in mind with selecting a case, hard drive, PS, and fans

sgowitt12

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I want to get a mid size case, need to have plenty of room, but dont want a giant tower. I wont be getting a TV tuner. I do plan to wait until windows 7 comes out. Is the Core i5 worth the wait? Will it be superior to the i7 enough to warrant paying the extra money for my needs?