Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ejecting A Drive In An Enclosure

Last response: in Storage
June 10, 2011 5:53:46 AM

I have a HDD in an enclosure, and am running Win 7 Pro x64. When I want to disconnect my HDD from my Computer, I click on the icon in the Notification area to eject it. There I find more in bold "SATA Bridge," with a pic of it. which is the enclosure, and underneath, the name of the drive inside, which is in light print. To "safely remove the hardware," I've just been clicking on the main enclosure name/pic. Is that ok? Or do I have to also afterward click on the drive also? Thanks.

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
June 10, 2011 6:32:12 AM

"SATA Bridge" is the hardware name for the enclosure - it sounds like the manufacturer is just using the default name provided by the chipset manufacturer rather than supplying the name of his own product.

It shouldn't matter which one you click on - the result should be the same. If the "safely eject" icon disappears or if it's still there but the name of the enclosure/volume is no longer in the list then your drive has been safely dismounted.
June 10, 2011 6:37:47 AM

Best answer selected by jetjim.
m
l
Related resources
June 10, 2011 6:40:43 AM

Thank you.....Excellent! One other question. I use this drive to do Acronis Image Backups of my internal HDD. I takes about an hour and a half to do the backup. The enclosure gets REAL HOT. Is there anything I can do about that, or is that just the way it is?
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
June 10, 2011 3:09:47 PM

There probably isn't too much you can do about the heat short of buying a different enclosure (one with a fan, perhaps) and moving the drive to it.

I choose "green" drives for my backups because they run cooler and the somewhat slower performance isn't really an issue for backup drives, IMHO.
m
l
June 10, 2011 4:03:12 PM

Thank you.
m
l
!