EVGA x58 supports CFX?

pcnoob101

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
I mean, the chip is a intel X58(correct me if im wrong) and not an nvidia chip. so should you be able to run 4 4870x2s in CFX?
if there are any drivers that support it, speaking theoraticly, and would 4 GTX 295s work as well?

You cannot use 4 GTX 295's in any setup regardless... Dual 295's is considered quad-sli... Second, dual 295's is OVERKILL so you would be wasting your money unless you are trying to break a record.... not to mention the next-gen cards are around the corner....

EVGA x58 does not support xfire...... If you want a board that supports xfire then you need to be looking at Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock, etc...... =)

chedderslam1976

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008

Why would the evga board not support crossfire? All X58's do. I am about to get a EVGA Classified board and was considering a ATI card so I'm curious. Do you have anything that shows you can't?

Who told you ALL x58 boards support xfire? Did you assume that?

The reason I state that the EVGA x58 boards DO NOT support xfire is simple... All x58 boards that DO support xfire have the documentation to support it... EVGA does not... I have never heard of anyone being able to xfire with such a board... Nor EVGA's website has any info on xfire... If xfire was supported then the mobo documentation and the website would clearly have the info regarding this issue..

EVGA has no affiliations with ATI so that should be one of the reasons that there is no support....

I would assume so. The newegg page states that it does support crossfire. I'm not surprised that EVGA does not advertise it of course. You have to remember that they are in the business of selling EGVA branded nVidia GPUs so why would they want to push crossfire?

Well it looks like you are in Luck, I just spoke with someone from EVGA's support team and they said that even though it is not listed/supported, you can xfire BUT there is no guarantee that it will perform to the same standards as SLI...

I don't understand why EVGA would do such a thing when it is better for the company to document this info for sake of the users wanting to buy an EVGA board and not deal with Nvidia....

Would be nice to see if there is at least one person that can confirm the performance of xfire on such a board....

shawnbie

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I am currently running tri fire (4870x2 with 4870 1gb) on the evga x58. It gave me a nice boost in a number of games, and enabling it was no more difficult than any other board.

Im guessing the lack of xfire notification and sli's prominence on the board is due to evga's "special" relationship with nvidia(note evga makes no ati graphics cards) and a large sum of cash.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008

If evga stated there supporting ati then nvidia wont give royalties to evga. Evga gets samples early and is backed by nvidia.

pcnoob101

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009

can you post pics?

Im not saying your lying, I just want to see them.

shawnbie

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
If you mean a picture of the actual cards, i will have to borrow my gf's digital camera. If you just need proof that it works before a purchase (understandable)
captureqd.jpg

Newegg also makes it clear it works http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188046

"Features
Features Core i7, 3-Way SLI & Crossfire Ready, E-LEET OC Utility "

shawnbie

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Its the 4870x2 and a 4870, so its technically just 2 cards. If you do a google image search of ati crossfire I think I remember seeing 3 3870's on a board.

Its a really tight squeeze with just 2, and I had to do alot of fan/wire adjusting to get the heat under control from the 2 cards being so close. Its a setup that would probably be best with watercooling, but thats something I just dont want to mess with.

Kudos to you for sharing this info.... I spoke with a few here on Toms and was told that EVGA does get samples from nvidia but what I do not comprehend is the fact that if the board does indeed work fine with multiple ATI cards them why not at least post it somewhere on the website... As far as Newegg goes, the website has more than a million typos so that is the reason why you have to confirm elsewhere....

The person that i spoke to from EVGA asked my why would I even think of using multiple ATI cards on an x58.....lol... i told him I was just curious and wanted to know since all the other brands do support both xfire and SLI... the dude was kinda rude, but what the hell.... at least now the OP knows he can use any card he wants....

DDX_First

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
I'm new to this forum and it's a few days old but I've been trying to decide whether I should buy the ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 or the EVGA X58. The ASUS has been getting better reviews but I am attracted to the EVGA lifetime warranty. Any thoughts?

Also, I don't know if this is a very recent development since this thread began, but the EVGA X58 DOES support crossfire and shows it in the specs sheet on their website. The address is http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/132-BL-E758.pdf. Look at the fourth bullet point under "Features."