Hi guys,
First of all, the configuration of the PC is as follows:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 v2.0
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+ 1.8 GHz
GPU:ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 Series
Memory: 1023 MB
HDD: WDC WD800JB-00FMA0 ATA Device

:pt1cable:

Now, I'm no expert, but I have successfully overclocked the CPU, and ended up with a stable system. The former 2500+ is now a 3200+, running at 2200 MHz. This is extremely easy and I want to share with you how I did it, so you can up your old PC's performance by a bit. I haven't done any serious benchmarks, but the Windows Experience Index for the CPU went from 2.2 to 3.5. I know it's laughable, but it is a really old model after all and the difference is noticeable. :kaola:

What gave me a bit of trouble in this whole process was the Motherboard's BIOS, but what I had to do in the end was set the FSB Frequency of the CPU to 200 MHz, and the Memory Frequency to 400MHz. I then upped the VPUcore by 5% and everything was set. Easy!

So, in BIOS, this is what needs to be changed:
Advanced Chipset Features
System Performance: Normal
FSB Frequency: 200
Memory Frequency: By SPD
Resulting Frequency: 400MHz
Frequency/Voltage Control
VCORE Voltage Control:+5%
:wahoo:

I hope I haven't offended anyone's intelligence with this topic. :??:
Thing is, I did it out of boredom, and it turned out to be a good thing. I mean, I also have a laptop with a better configuration so I didn't see why I shouldn't try overclocking the PC. I really didn't care about the risks involving my old rust bucket at the time I did it. :D
Anyhow, the system is stable and running faster! :pt1cable:
:hello:
1 answer Last reply
More about overclocking athlon 2500 gigabyte 7n400 pro2
  1. It's always good to help folks with older PC hardware. Most CPUs can be OC'ed some with good system stability and the slower the CPU the more significant the OC becomes.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking