Sign in with
Your question

Dual and triple channel

Last response: in Memory
February 10, 2010 5:13:31 PM

Whats the difference? Which is better? Especially for gaming.

More about : dual triple channel

February 10, 2010 5:25:43 PM

There are a couple of benchmarks on this site that deal with the performance of the two configurations.

Triple channel allows the processor to have 3 concurrent memory requests in operation, dual channel allows two overlapping memory requests. Triple channel has theoretically more bandwidth than dual channel (50% more), but other factors (cache, threading, how the processor uses the data) seem to make up for this. Memory accesses are very slow for todays microprocessors so anything you can do to speed that up is theoretically a good thing.

In games you get better performance with 3-channel, but it varies from 0 to maybe a couple of frames at most. But its there.... some synthetic benchmarks can see bigger gains, but they are not real world.

Is it worth it? You have to answer that question...
m
l
a b } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
February 10, 2010 5:36:01 PM

^+1...

Also, you have to look at what system you plan on purchasing too. Intel Socket 1366 utilizes triple channel and I would only recommend triple channel for those motherboards. All other sockets utilize dual channel, so I wouldn't recommend buying a triple channel memory kit, since it won't run in triple channel.
m
l
Related resources
February 10, 2010 5:42:45 PM

i see. great info btw.
one noob question. triple channel are always 3 sticks right and not two?
yeah im thinking about going i7-920
m
l
a b } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
February 10, 2010 5:54:16 PM

triple channel is always 3 or 6 sticks of RAM
m
l
a b } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
March 6, 2010 1:29:00 PM