Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best/Easiest Way to Prevent Hard Drive Spindown?

Last response: in Storage
June 10, 2011 1:56:00 PM

Hi All,

I recently bought one of the newest model Seagate Barracuda drives: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... .

It works great, my benchmarks easily hit 150MBps sequential read/write. My one issue with it though, and this may be a problem with all hard drives that are not used often is that it will spin down when not in use for X minutes. I use this drive for storing FRAPS videos, and only FRAPS videos, so when I start recording FRAPS lags me pretty badly because of the 3-5 seconds it takes the drive to spin up due to inactivity.

Anyone know if theres some setting to tweak in Windows 7 to alter the spin down time? IE: If not used for 1 hour then spindown?

a c 124 G Storage
June 10, 2011 2:28:52 PM

Are there any power saver features that you can disable using 'Sea Tools' ?

If not, Seagate tech support should be able to guide you.
m
l
a c 383 G Storage
June 10, 2011 2:33:14 PM

I believe if you go into windows power settings under advanced settings, you can disable putting the drives to sleep.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
June 10, 2011 3:14:05 PM

tonyd1987 said:
Anyone know if theres some setting to tweak in Windows 7 to alter the spin down time? IE: If not used for 1 hour then spindown?
Start -> type "Power Options" into the search box and hit "Enter"

Click the "Change Plan Settings" link beside the power plan that you use.

Click the "Change advanced power settings" link.

Click on the "+" beside Hard disk and then the "+" beside "Turn hard disk off after" to change the spin-down time.
June 10, 2011 9:53:20 PM

Best answer selected by tonyd1987.
m
l
June 10, 2011 9:53:34 PM

Thank you sminlal, that did it.
m
l
!