Tracerpt.exe hogging on my CPU Please Help

cang

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Hey guys, I was wondering it is normal for this process called "Tracerpt.exe" to be using 25% of my cpu?

I tried killing the process but it won't work and restarting the PC doesn't help neither.

cang

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
74349991.jpg

Also I can't find the process in Windows Task Manager

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
If tracert.exe is located in a subfolder of C:\Windows, then the security rating is 80% dangerous. File size is 70,656 bytes. There is no description of the program. The program is not visible. It is an unknown file in the Windows folder. Program starts upon Windows startup (see Registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run). tracert.exe is not a Windows core file. tracert.exe is able to monitor applications.

cang

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

I booted into safemode and did a full scan with ad-aware and kaspersky internet security, but still have no luck. Any other suggestion? Thanks!

cang

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Alright so i manage to end Tracerpt.exe and StartManSvc.exe (related to Tracerpt.exe) through Resource Monitor in Windows Task Manager, then restarted my PC and both of the processes seem to went away. No more CPU hogging.

So my next question is are these 2 processes (Tracerpt.exe and StartManSvc.exe) vital or i can do without them? Anyone else running Windows 7 64bit care to ctrl+alt+delete ---> Windows Task Manager ---> Performance tab ----> click Resource Monitor (at the bottom) and see if these 2 processes are running on your system? thanks

Mr Davo

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I have fixed the issue by uninstall the PC Tools program called Registry Mechanic. Registry Mechanic appears to have been "over stimulating" the Tracerpt.exe process. After uninstalling Registry Mechanic and rebooting I had to manually delete the PC Tools folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\PC Tools). Doing this freed up about 100 Gigs, it seems that when the Registry Mechanic program is uninstalled the ridiculously huge, "whatever", file is not automatically deleted.

Thanks again for all of your help with this.

Kind Regards,

Davo

TRENDING THREADS