My new SSD (SATA 3) is slower than a HDD!?!?!?

Hello all, bought a Agility 3 (sata 3) for my computer after being with HDD's for years I wanted something faster, put it in the comp (eventhough it's sata 2) and did a test on it and got these aweful results:

What's wrong with that? It's slower than my old HDD!!

I did optimizations to it ie: Moved page, yada yada, please help!! :(
14 answers Last reply
More about sata slower
  1. Try putting everything back to defaults. Re-format if necessary.
  2. Ubrales said:
    Try putting everything back to defaults. Re-format if necessary.

    Should I do secure erease? I'v heard of it before but idk what to do 0_o
  3. Punkmilitia said:
    Should I do secure erease? I'v heard of it before but idk what to do 0_o

    A re-format will erase everything.
  4. You are running on pciide... You will need to switch to AHCI mode in your BIOS. I would complete these steps in this article first than switch BIOS to AHCI mode and retest... If running an Intel board, install the latest Intel RST drivers.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
  5. tecmo34 said:
    You are running on pciide... You will need to switch to AHCI mode in your BIOS. I would complete these steps in this article first than switch BIOS to AHCI mode and retest... If running an Intel board, install the latest Intel RST drivers.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976


    I switched my cables round so it's on the AHCI port (4,5 port = ide)
    And I only get a BIT btter performance, it gives me an extra 50, hmm, wonder what's wrong.
  6. What is your motherboard??
  7. tecmo34 said:
    What is your motherboard??

    Gigabyte GA-MA785gmt-ud2h (if I recall) it has sata 2 so I know I won't get sata 3 speed's.
  8. Here is the specifications... http://www.ocztechnology.com/res/manuals/OCZ_Vertex3_Product_sheet.pdf

    Check the numbers listed for AS SSD Benchmark toward the bottom of the first page. These are the results on SATA III controller. If you jumped up 50 points, I would say you are getting closer and not a bad, as you think :D (I hope)
  9. tecmo34 said:
    Here is the specifications... http://www.ocztechnology.com/res/manuals/OCZ_Vertex3_Product_sheet.pdf

    Check the numbers listed for AS SSD Benchmark toward the bottom of the first page. These are the results on SATA III controller. If you jumped up 50 points, I would say you are getting closer and not a bad, as you think :D (I hope)

    Sorry for being a noob but aren't I 100 off from it?
  10. Punkmilitia said:
    Sorry for being a noob but aren't I 100 off from it?

    Which numbers are you talking about...

    Using ATTO you should get the below numbers roughly on SATA II controller:

    280MB Read
    260MB Write

    If you look at their AS SSD numbers, you'll see they are lower compared to the SATA III ATTO numbers...
  11. tecmo34 said:
    Which numbers are you talking about...

    Using ATTO you should get the below numbers roughly on SATA II controller:

    280MB Read
    260MB Write

    If you look at their AS SSD numbers, you'll see they are lower compared to the SATA III ATTO numbers...

    But i'm only getting like 170, 50 0_o
    oh ATTO? I'll look for it ty.
  12. Is this ok?
  13. Your ATTO numbers look pretty close to what OCZ list on their specifications for a SATA II drive. I won't worry too much, since you are now running in AHCI mode. Your drive seems fine to me.
  14. tecmo34 said:
    Your ATTO numbers look pretty close to what OCZ list on their specifications for a SATA II drive. I won't worry too much, since you are now running in AHCI mode. Your drive seems fine to me.

    Ahh, thanks alot for that :3
    Is it worth upgrading mobo to Sata 3 for the extra performance (twice as fast?)

    and when I start the computer it says scanning drives which takes 10 seconds, is this because of my normal HDD's? anything I can do about it? SSD appears fast but comp boots in 70-80seconds?
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD SATA Hard Drives Internet Explorer Storage