Sign in with
Your question

My new SSD (SATA 3) is slower than a HDD!?!?!?

Last response: in Storage
June 10, 2011 2:22:55 PM

Hello all, bought a Agility 3 (sata 3) for my computer after being with HDD's for years I wanted something faster, put it in the comp (eventhough it's sata 2) and did a test on it and got these aweful results:

What's wrong with that? It's slower than my old HDD!!

I did optimizations to it ie: Moved page, yada yada, please help!! :( 

More about : ssd sata slower hdd

a c 116 G Storage
June 10, 2011 2:31:29 PM

Try putting everything back to defaults. Re-format if necessary.
June 10, 2011 2:38:28 PM

Ubrales said:
Try putting everything back to defaults. Re-format if necessary.

Should I do secure erease? I'v heard of it before but idk what to do 0_o
Related resources
a c 116 G Storage
June 10, 2011 2:48:31 PM

Punkmilitia said:
Should I do secure erease? I'v heard of it before but idk what to do 0_o

A re-format will erase everything.
a c 143 G Storage
June 10, 2011 3:15:42 PM

You are running on pciide... You will need to switch to AHCI mode in your BIOS. I would complete these steps in this article first than switch BIOS to AHCI mode and retest... If running an Intel board, install the latest Intel RST drivers.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
June 10, 2011 3:19:38 PM

tecmo34 said:
You are running on pciide... You will need to switch to AHCI mode in your BIOS. I would complete these steps in this article first than switch BIOS to AHCI mode and retest... If running an Intel board, install the latest Intel RST drivers.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

I switched my cables round so it's on the AHCI port (4,5 port = ide)
And I only get a BIT btter performance, it gives me an extra 50, hmm, wonder what's wrong.
a c 143 G Storage
June 10, 2011 3:20:34 PM

What is your motherboard??
June 10, 2011 3:22:32 PM

tecmo34 said:
What is your motherboard??

Gigabyte GA-MA785gmt-ud2h (if I recall) it has sata 2 so I know I won't get sata 3 speed's.
a c 143 G Storage
June 10, 2011 3:33:54 PM

Here is the specifications... http://www.ocztechnology.com/res/manuals/OCZ_Vertex3_Pr...

Check the numbers listed for AS SSD Benchmark toward the bottom of the first page. These are the results on SATA III controller. If you jumped up 50 points, I would say you are getting closer and not a bad, as you think :D  (I hope)
June 10, 2011 3:36:47 PM

tecmo34 said:
Here is the specifications... http://www.ocztechnology.com/res/manuals/OCZ_Vertex3_Pr...

Check the numbers listed for AS SSD Benchmark toward the bottom of the first page. These are the results on SATA III controller. If you jumped up 50 points, I would say you are getting closer and not a bad, as you think :D  (I hope)

Sorry for being a noob but aren't I 100 off from it?
a c 143 G Storage
June 10, 2011 3:40:29 PM

Punkmilitia said:
Sorry for being a noob but aren't I 100 off from it?

Which numbers are you talking about...

Using ATTO you should get the below numbers roughly on SATA II controller:

280MB Read
260MB Write

If you look at their AS SSD numbers, you'll see they are lower compared to the SATA III ATTO numbers...
June 10, 2011 3:42:35 PM

tecmo34 said:
Which numbers are you talking about...

Using ATTO you should get the below numbers roughly on SATA II controller:

280MB Read
260MB Write

If you look at their AS SSD numbers, you'll see they are lower compared to the SATA III ATTO numbers...

But i'm only getting like 170, 50 0_o
oh ATTO? I'll look for it ty.
a c 143 G Storage
June 10, 2011 4:24:53 PM

Your ATTO numbers look pretty close to what OCZ list on their specifications for a SATA II drive. I won't worry too much, since you are now running in AHCI mode. Your drive seems fine to me.
June 10, 2011 4:42:47 PM

tecmo34 said:
Your ATTO numbers look pretty close to what OCZ list on their specifications for a SATA II drive. I won't worry too much, since you are now running in AHCI mode. Your drive seems fine to me.

Ahh, thanks alot for that :3
Is it worth upgrading mobo to Sata 3 for the extra performance (twice as fast?)

and when I start the computer it says scanning drives which takes 10 seconds, is this because of my normal HDD's? anything I can do about it? SSD appears fast but comp boots in 70-80seconds?
!