Price matching for Canadians (especially lower mainland BC)

vainglorious11

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Just a heads-up to system builders looking for the best prices on components: you can save a decent amount of money by finding an online retailer that price-matches other online stores, then using a price comparison website to find the lowest price. If they have a pick-up location nearby, that's a bonus.

I'm in the lower mainland of BC, so I like to shop at NCIX.com. They have pretty good stock & service, and as a bonus there is storefront near me where I can do in-store pickup. (no wait and no shipping fees!) They don't always have the lowest list prices, but they do price-match Canadian online stores, and I have yet to find a legitimate price that they won't honor.

To get the best deals, I find a part I want on NCIX, then use PriceCanada.com to find the lowest price for it.

See example below:

ncixpricematchwarrow.jpg

Total Before Price Match: 339.79
YOUR TOTAL: 265.43

You can see in the image that they price-matched NewEgg on the OCZ Reaper memory, even though it was nearly 50% off their list price. I was a little worried that they wouldn't give me the deal, but they did with no problem. Newegg had the best deals on the big ticket items (CPU & RAM), but I got a decent amount off the smaller parts too, using prices from 3 smaller websites.

Just wanted to share my bargain-hunting technique with anybody who might find it useful - I've been very happy with the results it got me. It makes me happy to give my business to a solid local store, but get the pricing of the big e-tailers and the somewhat sketchy smaller sites. It's a win for them too, because otherwise I would have just ordered it all from Newegg.

vainglorious11

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Yeah, agreed. It's like that for everything - smaller market I guess?

I get very jealous of some of the US Newegg deals that don't come up here.