Phenom II X3 720 Overclock Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dysania

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Hi guys,

The parts for my new budget gaming rig have arrived, and I chose a Phenom 720 since I was on quite a budget, but I did manage to squeeze in a Coolermaster TX3 cpu cooler.

I'm looking to overclock this cpu since its a black edition, but I don't have any experience with OC'ing. I was planning on using AMD overdrive, but I'm not sure if that will be a good option.

Could you guys give me a walk-through of OC'ing a phenom II, and what I should be able to reach with a TX3? I'm not looking to unlock the 4th core, but I do want to reach maybe.. 3.4ghz or more with 3 cores?

System:
Antec 300 Case, 2 stock case fans
CoolerMaster TX3 CPU cooler
Phenom II X3 720 BE @ 2.8ghz (Stock)
Biostar A870 ATX Motherboard

Thanks for any help!

Solution
For important overclocking use your cooler just keep your temp below 60C when do stress test use prime 95/OCCT.
Go bios In Toverclocker, small raise multiplier / ratio cpu don't too much if adding, set cpu voltage at manual and sellect [+smallest]
- disabled smart fan cpu, spread spectrum, cool n quite and set pcie at 100
- keep NB at 2000 as posible
- let other option in auto
In above Just first time you must know how high clock speed can get without adding voltage

Dysania

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Alright, thanks henydiah.

So basically, just firstly
- disabled smart fan cpu, spread spectrum, cool n quite and set pcie at 100
- keep NB at 2000 as posible
- let other option in auto

Then start slowly raising the multiplier in the bios?
Will setting the cpu voltage at manual and sellecting [+smallest] make the voltage automatically increase as I increase the multiplier?

Is there anything else I need to increase, like my FSB, north bridge, etc?
Also, after I'm done with everything and the cpu looks stable, should I re-enable smart fan cpu, spread spectrum, etc?

Sorry, first time overclocking so I really don't have any idea.

Thanks!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.