doncarriere

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
I am considering to move to Windows 7 - 64 bit when it comes out officially later this year but I do have my worries.
Q1. Will all my current games work on it? (see my PC configuration below)
Q2. Will going to 64 bit really improve over what I have now?
Q3. Are still faced with device drver issues as with VISTA or can I use any VISTA driver?

My coniguration is:
CPU: Quad 3ghz
RAM: 4GB
VIDEO: 4870x2
HDD: WD Raptor but considering another one for RAID
MONITOR: LG 26" running 1080 HD mode

Thanks for any comments, even the confusing ones.

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
1. Modern games, yes. Older games might be hit and miss, but anything that will run on a 64 bit vista system will run on windows 7
2. What OS do you have now? 64 bit will allow you to address more Ram, and it will speed up certain functions
3. 7 is built on the Vista platform, so the official release should not have any issue with anything that runs on Vista

On some lists I've seen (sorry, no link at work), there are older games that wouldn't run on Vista that will run on Windows 7 (e.g. Sacred). In my own tests, my older games all run.
My test system had 4GB of RAM. It ran very well, so I installed the Win7 RC on my primary system as well, also with 4GB of RAM. My results are confounded by the fact that it was a clean install, and the test system also got a CPU upgrade, but if anything, there WAS some improvement, although slight.
Vista 64 drivers worked in every case for anything I had that needed new drivers, e.g. video cards, mice, and a couple of printers; not a thorough test, but consistent with claims that Vista64 drivers were the ones to use.