Would I see a difference upgrading from a Zalman CNPS9900ALED?

wanderer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
My i7 920 runs 75C full load (after ~12 hours) at 3.6GHz with this cooler, but I don't have the greatest air flow around the computer, and there's no real way to relocate it right now. Since I bought this one about 2 years ago, I've been wondering if there are any new air coolers that have come out recently that could lower my temps 5-10C?

wanderer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
The problem is that my case faces right toward the wall.

Do you think a small fan mounted near the case (to push the air away) would be better than a cooler?

Really how's that inform anyone.Especially the OP since he has a 1366 cpu.
Right off the frostytech site
This index does not apply to Intel Core i7 socket 1366 Heatsink performance characteristics .
The best thing you can do is buy a case with better airflow.
What case do you have?

Your joking ! that case has awesome airflow.
What's going on?
Are your front filters full of dust?
Maybe it's time for a good cleaning.
Your HSF wouldn't have been my first choice btw.
It's fans working right?
I'm finding it hard to understand since i have a 902 and all my internal temps are low 30C.
List your full specs please.

wanderer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
As I said, it's more of the case's position than the case itself. It has a wall both behind and to the right of it, but there's nothing I can do about that right now.

I'm guessing your 30C internal temps are at idle. Mine are about 39C idle

Full specs:

Case - Antec 1200
CPU - i7 920 @ 3.6GHz
Cooler - Zalman CNPS9900ALED
Graphics - XFX Radeon 5870
Mobo - Asus P6X58D Premium
PSU - Antec CP-850 850W
RAM - Corsair XMS3 6GB
HDD - Samsung Spinpoint F3
DVD/CD - Sony Optiarc 24X

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

Current top air performers are the Noctua NH-D14 and Thermalright Silver Arrow, you can see a review of them here.

Look around for more reviews, depending on the site and their test methods, the top performer differs, just make sure that they are actually testing on the socket 1366 platform and not another socket or a synthetic platform.