1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 12V(P4)
6 x peripheral
3 x SATA
2 x Floppy
1 x PCI-E

4745454b

Titan
I wouldn't. Seems like an older one, no PFC, 550W and no SLI, two small 16A rails, etc. Worse, as an older PSU, its probably already been used quite a bit, so its not as powerful as it once was. Get a new QUALITY PSU, and you won't have to worry.

Actually active PFC can slightly reduce efficiency, but anyway.....

Without the make and model of your PSU, or the specs of the rest of your system, I'm just gonna have to say no. Anyway you should go ahead and take a look at the general idea of PSU tiers and see if your unit falls somewhere in there

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Since it seems your unit is older you should find it there. If it's on the list of tier 5 PSUs, then get a new one. If it's at least a tier 3 PSU, then you should be fine so long as you're not using a crazy OC'd i7 or something.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 500 watt power supply with sufficient current on the 12 volt rail(s) can handle a system with any single video card made.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic all have reputations for quality. They consistently earn high marks in technical reviews.

canucks13

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
So you guys are saying I cant run it even tho people say they always reccomend more amps then needed. 32A for the 12 rails should be enough since i only have one harddrive and one dvd drive and q6600 stock with 3.2gb of ram

4745454b

Titan
Do you really have 32A? You can't just add the two 16A rails together.

Its not just the lack of PFC. Everything about that PSU that you gave us screams older unit. No PFC, Not enough Amps on the 12V, sub 80% Efficiency, etc, etc. My 500W Earthwatts has 34A on the 12V rails, PFC, 80%, etc. Yours has 50 extra watts, but less power available for modern systems. And as I mentioned before, if its older, it won't hold up very well under modern loads.

If it's a Chokemax PSU (any cheap brand, such as those that come with a case and are NOT Antec Earthwatts), the label could be a lie, and it isn't good for even 75% of it. That's a major reason why people often recommend bigger PSUs than are actually needed; what claims to be a 500W PSU will actually go BANG! if you try to pull 375W out of it. OTOH, a quality PSU such as Antec (or the other ones JohnnyLucky listed) will typically actually be good for more than is on the label.
These days, if a PSU has a little red voltage switch and is not 80+ certified, there's no excuse to buy it, or risk connecting it to a computer.

The problem is, when a cheap PSU croaks, it often takes other parts with it. I cannot in good conscience recommend someone else risk his or her rig in a way I never would. What brand is it?

4745454b

Titan
Anyone else with an opinion? Whats wrong with the ones you've got already? Other then you don't like the answer. Can you try it? Yes. Will it work? Probably. Will it be safe over time? Probably not.

By now you have it installed and running on that power supply don't you? Lol. I'm not sure why you posted this thread asking if it will work or not when you are going to do it anyway.

I anxiously await your next post titled "Help!! I think I fried my GTX 275!!!" so I can join many of the others to say I told you so. ;)

Oh you're no fun.
The 275 uses barely more power than an overclocked GTX 260, no problem for the EA430 ;
260430.JPG

E8400 @ 3.6
Asus P5N-E SLI
GTX 260 OC
2x2 Gskill
2 x 160 WD Raid0
DVDRW
Card Reader
Sound card
2x 120mm
1 x 80mm
368 watts from the wall running Prime and Furmark, the little Antec didn't even get warm.

First .... run the power supply calculator like the one here or an equivalent:

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

Second, make sure your PSU has the necessary cable(s) w/ the right number of pins.

BTW,I always figure on 25% capacitor aging and 85% load in a PSU calculator.

Will it run it, we all think yes. But, I myself like most others here have agreed would not depend on this psu for long term usage. I actually wouldn't trust it for short term usage based on the fact it only has 1 pci express 6 pin connector and the 275 requires 2. You can use an adapter but its not recommended to do so unless the power supplies specs can actually support all the hardware and the video card.

I'm actually running my media center with an 8800GTX ACS3 video card on a Corsair 450 watt psu and a 6 pin adapter. There's not a lot of 450 watters out there I would trust that with tbh. The OP still hasn't posted the brand name of this psu to finalize a yae or nae on using it.

The OP is obviously using this power supply already so we are debating over what? Lol...

I'm 99.9% sure it is as well. No feedback from the OP as of yet so we may never know.

Not to mention my media center is also running the following:

4 hard drives (will run 2 more in the near future)
2 dvd drives
1 blu ray drive
7 120mm fans
Overclocked Q9550
TV tuner card

I would bet the OP's 550 watt psu couldn't handle that hardware lineup without taking something out in the next 3-6 months...

4745454b

Titan
The Corsair 450W is almost the same as my Antec EA 500W. If I remember correctly, they both have 34A on the 12V rail, but my 500W has a bit more for the 3.3 +5V. Either should be good for a "simple" setup, but I would never run an unknown PSU.

For example, I bought a case for $30 (shipped) that came with a 450W PSU. As soon as I got the case, I ripped that PSU out, and put in my first Antec PSU. I never touched it. My Antec ran fine until I replaced it with my current PSU. The case PSU? Sat in my closet until a friend needed one cause his died. It ran for less then 1 month before it blew. He went out and bought a new case and PSU, he hasn't had any issues since. Its all about quality, and you can't get a quality case and PSU for $30 shipped.

PSU's are the easiest things to skimp out on. I think by far its the cheapest thing made in a computer, quality wise, plus they make it too easy for the uneducated to skimp by offering those low cost solutions. I fell prey to those combos in my early years and quickly learned better once I started getting into higher end hardware that would tell on you.

This is where the OP is right now and I think his lesson is around the corner...