Possible motherboard failure?

oz73942

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I have an hp a1610n which started experiencing some problems sometime around May last year. My computer would power on, fans would start at full blast but i would just get a blank screen and my monitor would go to sleep saying theres no connection. I would have to turn the computer on and off multiple times before i finally got it to work perfectly, but upon restarting it or shutting it off i would have the same problem. Both hp and geeksquad diagonesd a motherboard failure. i sent it to get fixed, got the mobo replaced, but know im having the excact same problem as before. so i no longer think it is a faulty mobo since the problem started once again only a month after the replacement. Any suggestions to what it could be? really appreciate the help!

HTRN

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
If its doing the exact same thing and you've replaced the MoBo , I would suspect the power supply. If you have a DMM ( volt meter ) try checking the rail voltages while booting up and see if thier going out of range , if so swap in a new PSU and see if that cures the problem.

Just some things to check - reseat all memory sticks and add-on cards , clean out the PC and all heatsinks and fans. Check all cable connections . Run some stress tests on memory , hard drive , cpu , video card . If your comfortable with your ability, remove the cpu heatsink and clean / reapply thermalpaste .

oz73942

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

i do have a meter, but not sure on how to check the PSU, i have reseated all the memory sticks and add-on cards, cleaned everything out, checked all the cables, and stress tested all my components even ran a check on the mobo. Only 2 things left are the cpu heatsink cleaning, and power supply. ok i just swapped out the psu with one from another computer that i know works 100%. No good.

wlaziu

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
My PC behaved similarly after a lightning struck the power grid near my house (despite the PC turned off). The problem was one of the capacitors in the PSU that had lower capacitance then expected.