Won't boot up with GPU in.

I have a Biostar TForce TF82000 A2+ RT mobo with a 8800GT, AMD 5600+, Rosewill RP500-2 500W PSU, and Corsair 6400 R 2 GB of RAM, and was working fine last night. This morning, however, the mobo did not boot up; the fans and LEDs (except for the HDD status and power button ones) turned on but the BIOS screen would not pop up and the GPU's fan would remain at 100%. I thought it would be a problem with the mobo, but once I removed the GPU, the computer would boot normally, so I figured it was a problem with the GPU.

After looking online, however, a lot of the results ended up with a mobo problem, so I'm asking for help in which hardware piece is causing the problems before I spend 150 on a new GPU only to find out it doesn't work. Can anyone help?
7 answers Last reply
More about boot
  1. After doing some research on my own I think the problem lies within the PSU or GPU, but most likely the GPU. I'll get a RMA from EVGA and see if that fixes it.
  2. Have you tried testing the RAM? I had a stick go bad and all the lights and fans would turn on but it would not post. Might be worth checking if you have more than two sticks you can see if one went bad.

    Good luck
  3. I would have tried removing everything and reseating it with an issue like that. You would be amazed how many times that fixes it.
  4. tomh85 said:
    Have you tried testing the RAM? I had a stick go bad and all the lights and fans would turn on but it would not post. Might be worth checking if you have more than two sticks you can see if one went bad.

    Good luck


    Both sticks work and are at default settings, so RAM is not the issue. Thanks for the suggestion though.

    Anonymous said:
    I would have tried removing everything and reseating it with an issue like that. You would be amazed how many times that fixes it.


    I tried that but the computer will not boot up; the card stays at 100% fan speed as it occurs when it first starts up.
  5. TrafficCone said:
    Both sticks work and are at default settings, so RAM is not the issue. Thanks for the suggestion though.


    How do you know they work? Did you test them in a working computer with memtest86+? My first guess would be either bad ram or a bad PSU. Rosewill PSUs are crappy. You should test the video card in another computer first before getting an rma.
  6. I vote bad PSU.
  7. After testing out the GPU on a friends computer it turns out that was the problem. Thanks everyone for suggestions!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt GPUs Boot Systems