Sign in with
Your question

Anyone own the Sapphire Toxic 2gb 6950?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 23, 2011 6:24:24 PM

I have all of the directions on how to mod this to an almost 6950 I believe, but the more closely I read the reviews, it sounds a though I don't even need to do all that work? It doesn't seem right (seems too good to be true) but many of the reviews say they, 'just flipped the switch to the second bios and rebooted and the shaders were already unlocked'.

Anyone with experience with this card and unlocking the shaders?

Thanks.
October 24, 2011 2:45:46 AM

I have 2 in crossfire. Have had them for about a week.

Both came with the 6970 bios installed in the second bios position. In other words, all I had to do was flip the bios swith on the card.

Extra shaders recognized in CPU-Z and Sapphire Trixx.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2011 6:51:22 AM

Yeah, the toxic is a reference card. As stupid as it seems, you literally flip the switch, and you're good to go. Keep in mind, there is no guarantee you will unlock the shaders successfully, this is part of the reason you're not paying the price of a 6970.
m
l
Related resources
October 30, 2011 12:03:53 PM

Yep just installed the drivers & verified all was good, then shut the pc down & flipped the switch. When I started it back up it had unlocked the extra shaders.
m
l
October 30, 2011 8:39:04 PM

Okay, question on how that went...

So I am up and running and just starting to work on getting drivers back up. I don't have sound for example, so there's probably some sound driver I have to find some how. When I go to CPU-Z, it recognizes there is and AMD HD 6900 Series, but that is it. No information about Core, Shaders, Memory etc.

Incidentally, is there an easy way with windows 7 to update all of my drivers?

Thanks.
m
l
November 1, 2011 9:19:33 PM

dbdth said:
I have 2 in crossfire. Have had them for about a week.

Both came with the 6970 bios installed in the second bios position. In other words, all I had to do was flip the bios swith on the card.

Extra shaders recognized in CPU-Z and Sapphire Trixx.

hey im thinking about getting one of these now, and then another one next year at some point to go crossfire with.

just wondering what the max temps you are getting under heavy load with these in crossfire?

do they do a good job at pushing all the heat out the back of the case and not leave much hot air inside the case?

its either one of these or a twin frozr III, but im not sure which will cool the best in a crossfire setup. the pre-loaded 6970 bios makes the toxic so tempting as i can use it without voiding the warranty! not much use if it gets to hot in crossfire though which is what's bugging me.

really hope you can help :) 

thanks.

Edit: Also I am reading a lot about a high pitched squeal when people are running them with the 6970 bios. Have you experienced that? Thanks!
m
l
November 3, 2011 3:38:44 AM

well...I will try to get back to you this weekend if i can as...

In a holding pattern. Got the two toxics and unlocked the shaders on both. But I can't get crossfire to work. Latest tech support is saying crossfire can't be done on my board. That means three people that said it can and now one person that said it can't so it's apparently going to higher authority as I now own two of them...

I can tell you what I'm seeing without having run BF3. I'm not pushing them until I find if I have to pay to RMA them and start my gpu search all over again. Noise isn't an issue so far. There is more fan volume than I'm used to at start up (so this may be true during heavy load as well, but not squealing, just fans spinning). Idle is about 45 degrees and 37 degrees according to gpu-z. Getting the bios up to near 6970's is a breeze. The only hassle was my own setup which has one really bad power card in front of the x16 slots. It made the installation and removal of the cards (once each for original installation and once again for each for at least four installations and removals) really suck But otherwise it was a switch of the bios switch and a power on and that was it. The cards are big. Bigger than m gtx 280 ftw. Larger and heavier that I was used to.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2011 4:43:54 AM

The two should crossfire fine (unlocked 6950's) unless you flashed the wrong unlocked bios to each of the cards.
m
l
November 3, 2011 11:35:13 AM

axlrose said:
well...I will try to get back to you this weekend if i can as...

In a holding pattern. Got the two toxics and unlocked the shaders on both. But I can't get crossfire to work. Latest tech support is saying crossfire can't be done on my board. That means three people that said it can and now one person that said it can't so it's apparently going to higher authority as I now own two of them...

I can tell you what I'm seeing without having run BF3. I'm not pushing them until I find if I have to pay to RMA them and start my gpu search all over again. Noise isn't an issue so far. There is more fan volume than I'm used to at start up (so this may be true during heavy load as well, but not squealing, just fans spinning). Idle is about 45 degrees and 37 degrees according to gpu-z. Getting the bios up to near 6970's is a breeze. The only hassle was my own setup which has one really bad power card in front of the x16 slots. It made the installation and removal of the cards (once each for original installation and once again for each for at least four installations and removals) really suck But otherwise it was a switch of the bios switch and a power on and that was it. The cards are big. Bigger than m gtx 280 ftw. Larger and heavier that I was used to.

Cool. well do you want me to have a look into your board for you and see if i can figure out if its crossfire capable? its usually pretty easy to tell :) 

trihedral said:
The two should crossfire fine (unlocked 6950's) unless you flashed the wrong unlocked bios to each of the cards.

well they're meant to come pre-flashed with the 6970 bios on the second bios so i wont have to flash them :)  i know they should work well in crossfire but its the temps of them in crossfire and the possible squealing noise im most worried about. ive actually ordered one now already and its arriving tomorrow :)  will probably get a second one next year...
m
l
November 4, 2011 4:52:33 PM

hey i got my 6950 and flipped the bios switch. im happy to report that the extra shaders unlocked! :D  one thing i have noticed though is that the ram speed is lower than the 6970's. should my ram speed have upped as well? here's a screen shot of both bios's:

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee387/ET900/toxic69...

edit: just realised its hard to see in that pic lol. the ram speed is at 1300mhz.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 5, 2011 6:05:02 AM

^
Open MSI Afterburner, set voltages default (1112)

up to 880 core & 1300 or 1350 memory (i forgot the default for a 6970), the default hit apply. The default voltage should be fine for about 900 core & 1300-1350 mem.

If you experience core frequency and memory frequency drops.

Prior to Steps:

Download: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A3W9MS1W
open it and and press yes, restart the computer.

You will now have an overclocking limit of 1000 MHz core and 1500 Mhz Memory

1. Set your desired voltage (don't pass 1.25v) & Core|Memory clocks in MSI After Burner 2.10 or 2.2.0 Beta
2. Hit Apply
3. Set the same Core|Memory clocks in Catalyst Control Center & Set Power Control Setting from +5% to +20%.
4. Hit Apply

This will keep your cores running the set frequency rather than having it randomly dip.

CCC & MSI Afterburner should always have the same frequency or else either the CCC's Power Control(-20% to +20%) wont work, or MSI's After Burner Voltage won't change.

i got 1Ghz Core & 1500 Memory with 1.2V. You might need 1.25V.

Don't go over 80C. Don't have Artifacts.
If you want to go higher, set auto fan control, replace GPU's thermal paste with IC Diamond or Antec Formula 7.
m
l
November 8, 2011 7:36:36 PM

Sorry for the delayed response.

My temps under sustained load (well, a few hours of BF3 if that counts as sustained - settings on ultra) and my cards run at around 55C. I have plenty of case fans, full size case, Corsair H70 CPU cooler and one of those RAM cooler fan thingies (sorry, going all techie here...lol).

Before the two toxics I had a Sapphire reference 6950 and a Sapphire Dirt3 6950 running in crossfire. Temps during hours of gaming were about 75C.

The drop sounds crazy large and the only explanation I have is the Toxics vent air out of the case.

We'll see what happens when I get Eyefinity working -- I expect the temps to jump a bit (the temp comparison above based on running 1 monitor, 1920 x 1080 resolution with both card set-ups).

I thnk the Dirt3 version has great cooling -- if you run a single card. If you run 2 you're just blowing hot air from 2 cards around in the case.
m
l
November 8, 2011 7:39:38 PM

Also, not hearing any squealing.

If you put your hand at the back of the case you can feel a ton of hot air being pushed out
m
l
November 8, 2011 8:18:32 PM

hey i forgot about this thread! i found a brilliant thread over on overclock.net if you guys wanna check it out!

http://www.overclock.net/amd-ati/1149079-sapphire-toxic...

on pages 26/27 (i think) me and someone else posted up the latest bios for the Toxic 6950 which was sent to us by Sapphire. It turned out i already had the latest bios and sadly it didn't seem to fix the need for +20% powertune for me and others. its still there though if you wanna give it a try :) 

Also a few of us have support tickets in the works with Sapphire and hopefully they're going to release a proper bios fix so stay tuned to that thread to find out :) 
m
l
November 9, 2011 8:19:58 AM

What motherboard do you own??
m
l
November 12, 2011 9:39:38 PM

Sorry, back here as I'm trying to get my two 2gb msi 560ti's to work in sli, and I'm not having any luck. I'm worried the big cover on the card is preventing my sli bridge from making solid connection on both cards at the same time.

After four different confirmations from EVGA tech support that I could run crossfire on my board, they changed their mind, after I purchased the two toxic cards. Absolutely no help from them at all other than, no the cards won't work. I had to heat two more rounds of shipping costs to get the 560ti's, but newegg.com saved the day and took the cards back for only the cost of shipping both ways. Won't be buying EVGA anymore. Hoping I don't find myself in a place where their sli bridge won't work now too...
m
l
!