Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Assistance with MSI's afterburner

Last response: in Overclocking
October 23, 2011 6:52:00 PM

Greetings TH forums, I am a fair-weather reader and first time poster,

I recently purchased N570GTX Twin Frozr III by MSI. This card is a monster, and I love it so far - but i've noticed some odd fan behavior when monitoring in afterburner. The fan speed seems to spike if the GPU temp exceeds 34 °c.

I am not running any gpu intensive applications when this is occurring, and I was wondering if perhaps I had set something incorrectly in the afterburner program itself, as I fear that this kind of fan-speed spiking could be bad for the long-term health of the card.

That's a quick snap of an example, here's another...

I am a complete noob when it comes to overclocking, or the intricacies of hardware in general - any advice or help would be appreciated.
October 23, 2011 7:30:18 PM

I would not worry about that to much. If you want you could always pull the card out of the system if you were the one that put it in there. Then check; see if the wire that comes from the fan is firmly attached to the the male reciprocal on the graphic card itself. Likewise check to see if both little wires are leading to the fan in there correct fashion. If there is a problem with the connection of the wires to the fan or fans send it back to MSI. If it is the connection between the graphic card and the wires re-seat the connection.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2011 3:21:44 PM

Hi Scyros,

You can check out the card like lukwen said. I also have another Idea for you. Afterburner lets you set up your own fan profile. If you go into the settings you can pick out what fan speed you want for different temps. From your screenshot, it looks like you already have the user fan profile active. So when you hit apply, it should automatically use the fan profile you defined in the settings.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a c 242 K Overclocking
October 24, 2011 8:08:37 PM

try to see with other software temperarute like Hwmonitor, see how high temp your gpu, if still cool it mean just bug afteburner, if show high you need fix cooler maybe get new cooler according by your vga
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2011 9:57:17 PM

anyway, no worries most fans of high end GPUs idle @ 25%, you can manually set it to that value.
Score
October 25, 2011 3:32:30 AM

Best answer selected by scyros.
Score
October 25, 2011 3:33:00 AM

Thanks blade, I did spend some time with google and tweaking and I've got it working at a pace I like. Thanks for the help guys.
Score
October 28, 2011 2:11:05 AM

scyros said:
Greetings TH forums, I am a fair-weather reader and first time poster,

I recently purchased N570GTX Twin Frozr III by MSI. This card is a monster, and I love it so far - but i've noticed some odd fan behavior when monitoring in afterburner. The fan speed seems to spike if the GPU temp exceeds 34 °c.

I am not running any gpu intensive applications when this is occurring, and I was wondering if perhaps I had set something incorrectly in the afterburner program itself, as I fear that this kind of fan-speed spiking could be bad for the long-term health of the card.

http://i.imgur.com/S2D14.png

That's a quick snap of an example, here's another...

http://i.imgur.com/M35O8.png

I am a complete noob when it comes to overclocking, or the intricacies of hardware in general - any advice or help would be appreciated.

Hey do you have a nice fast stable overclock going on right now? I'm planning on OC'ing mine soon and if I can copy your settings exactly that would be great! Especially if they are pretty low risk. I can't seem to find any guides as I'm new to OC'ing.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a c 239 K Overclocking
October 28, 2011 3:57:18 PM

This topic has been closed by 4ryan6
Score
!