Is this enough for 4870?

mauricesy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
well. im thinking of getting a new card, the 4870. but im having serious questions if my 400 watt psu, single 12v 14a rail, can handle it. any advise guys? thanks.

ptoss1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I have a 460W Cooler Master Psu and I'm wondering the same thing. A person on the internet answered my question and said he has the same psu and runs a 3870 just fine. Probably not very helpfu, but I would say upgrade ur psu as the answerer said the 460W would give out if the card was even more high end.

shubham1401

Distinguished

That PSU won't be enough.14 amps for a 400W PSU means it is a very low quality unit(Good 300w units have 19A and good 400w units have at least 25A).

You must change that PSU to power that card.

OverK1lL

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Are you using XP? if so then right-click on 'My Computer' and click properties, it should list the amount of ram you have as well as the processor and its frequency.

Then to find out the rest just look inside your case and count the amount of Haddrives, then look at the front of your case and count the drives you have, then list it here and I'll beable to give you an answer.

shubham1401

Distinguished

Those PSU are not high quality.
Don't under estimate the importance of PSU,they power everything and if they go bad they may blow many parts with them.

So get a quality piece.

I suggest Corsair,Antec,PC P&C,OCZ.

All these make good PSU .

FinnJ

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Hi guys, I've got a similar question.

Computer Brand Name: PACKARD BELL BV IMEDIA MC 2470
Motherboard Model: Packard Bell BV Cuba MS-7301
Processor Name: Intel Pentium D 820

Im on a tight budget and want to buy a new gpu for my fairly old pc to run cod 6.

Im thinking of the ATI HD4850 graphics card, (£80 from maplin)

I would then need to upgrade my psu from a standard 250W power supply to support this graphics card. I found this on the web, seems to be good value for money and i think would cover the power needed;
http://www.dabs.com/products/best-value-550w-gold-psu-12cm-24-pin--550-5HN8.html

Could anyone tell me if this setup would work?

Any help for a pc noobie would be great. thanks