jeff77789

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
i have some questions

m4a79t deluxe
phenom ii x4 965
radeon hd 4890

i want to cool the cpu gpu and the chipset on my system

help me find a waterblock for my chipset northbridge southbridge and my cpu thats AWESOME

also i already found a waterblock for my gpu
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8897/ex-blc-602/EK_Radeon_HD4890_VGA_Liquid_Cooling_Block_-_Acetal_Nickel_Plated_-_EK-FC4890_CF-AcetalNickel.html?tl=g30c309s902
any other good suggestions?

whats a good waterpump i dont care how loud it is just that its EXCELLENT
zalman?

also how am i supposed to install it? whats all the plugs and clamps and all that crap
im n00b

so do i just connect the pipes from one side of the cpu waterblock to exit the other side and then go to the gpu entrance and then exit then go to my chipset then back to the pump?????????????????????????????????????????????/i really neeed u all's help

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
You need to go look at this:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=202394

Get yourself educated. Then ask questions. Water is not for noobs.

As a base however I would do this.

MCR 320 radiator, Heatkiller 3 CPU block, the EK GPU FC block you posted, a D5 vario, Swiftech or EK res, a small collection of barbs, a fill port, 3-4 ft of Tygon, and some zip ties. About the best cheap setup you could do. Skip cooling the mobo. Not worth it unless your doing a massive OC.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
jeff77789 I have built many water cooling rigs and I can assure you it’s not worth the money.

To build a proper loop you looking $350 - $600 and you’ll likely see 5-10 degrees lower temps then a good air cooling unit you get for $50. If you are over clocking hardcore, well then water is what you want for sure.

I suggest EK water blocks if not possible then swiftech.

The radiator(s) is pretty much the most important part of a water cooling loop… I suggest not being cheap here… Feser and thermochill make awesome rads.

7/16” ID or 3/8 ID tubing is easier to work with and also has tighter fits on ½ in barbs. I use hose clamps on every connection… not the cheesy plastic ones either, I go to the hardware store and buy metal ones for $1 ea.

Water Pumps: Swiftech MCP655 or DD12V-D5

You want to have the pump low in the case, preferably the lowest point of the loop.
This order:
Pump-processor-chipset-gpu-rad-(t-line or res)-pump

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I do agree with Kaldor about the chipset... don't bother having it in the loop.

Also, running GPU and CPU on the same loop you need a killer Radiator or even two smaller one.

Something like
pump-cpu-small rad-gpu-big rad-(tline or res)-pump

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006

Tygon is pricey, but you get what you pay for. The Feser and Primochill tube looks nice too. All tubing ages and yellows, cheap or expensive. Im a fan of black, it cant turn yellow. 3/8" ID over 1/2" barbs is pretty rough, no smaller than 7/16. Yeah, I under estimated at 4 ft. 8 ft is about right. 10 if your prone to screwing up.

A single Swiftech MCR 320 is more than enough for a CPU and single GPU setup following the 1 120 fan per core + 1 rule. 2 cores + 1 = 320/360. Thermochills are nice, but require a ton of cleaning before use. Fesers are overpriced. XSPC rads are good at a good price. My bet is the cheap but effective MCR 320.

D5 Vario/MCP 655 is probably the best pump for your application. MCP 355 is nice as well, but requires a new top for the pump to work its best.

Honestly, Id skip the res when you start and use a T line. Its easy to add later, and you can avoid the extra bucks it costs to setup. If you must, the Swiftech Micro res V2 or the 200mm EK res are your best bets. You will need a fill port as well.

Metal hose clamps are overkill. Good heavy duty zipties are more than enough and are a good deal cheaper.

As Grieve said, EK makes nice blocks. However their CPU blocks are very restrictive. I recommend either a Swiftech GTZ or a Heatkiller 3 LT. The GTZ has the best mounting system right, but the HK has better performance but you have to buy the mounting backplate seperately which adds to the cost. For GPU blocks, Danger Den or EK are the best bet.

You will still need barbs. The Bitspower ones are the nicest, but it really doesnt matter that much.

You will need a biocide of some type. Best bets are either small piece of pure silver strip coiled up or PT Nuke. Just use distilled water for coolant. Avoid colored coolants. They break down over time and fill your water loop full of crap.

Fans. Youll need 3 fans for a 320/360 rad. The faster the fan, the louder the noise. Scythe S flexes or Gentle Typhoons are nice but cheap Yate Loons work too.

Order: Pump -> processor -> gpu -> radiator -> t-line or res

Stores:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php
http://www.petrastechshop.com/
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/

If your a complete rookie, Id still recommend taking a look at this before ordering anything or assembly.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=202394

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Also.. do you plan to mount the rad internal or external?
If you mount externally add one of these to your purchase list, makes life real easy
http://www.xoxide.com/swiftech-radbox-external-radiator-mount.html

I agree with Kaldor, T-line is fine... In fact the res is only good for the initial fill of the system as you have to bleed the air pockets. T-line takes a lot longer to bleed the system but once bleeding is done a res is useless.

I also agree with Kaldor 7/16" IN diameter tubing and purchase 1/2" OD barbs.
This is the tubing i buy, it's $8.53 CAD, easily manipulated and is pretty thick.
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19864&vpn=5%2F8OD10FT&manufacture=Swiftech

I am not a fan of the Swiftech MCR 320 rad... i used this on my first build and wasnt overly impressed with my temps under load, It is OK for the price i guess. I will never buy another one. In my opinion spend the extra $20-40 to gain the extra 3-5 degrees, ultimately it is a lot.

jeff77789

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
okay so a little more questions, whats the difference between the different sized barbs, what ARE the barbs used for, what "fan" your talking about , whats "rad" is that the gpu?, and isnt the fan for the radiator?

jeff77789

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
also, if i mount my radiator external then does the antec twelve hundred case has those lines for it to go external or what

also if i mount it internal, does that mean i dont have enough space for possibly sli/crossfire configurations?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252455-29-water-cooled-computer#t1801333

Get your self educated first.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006

I fully agree. Water is not for the faint of heart. Be prepared to do maintenance. You just dont set a loop up and run it forever like air. You need to change the water. Check blocks for corrosion. Clean the rads.

The bonus is, you can overclock MUCH higher with less noise on water. Thats the biggest draw. And it looks damn cool too.

Another website with guys that know a ton:
http://www.realredraider.com/
Be prepared, you ask stupid questions and act like an idiot there, these guys will hand you your ass. There are no bannings and swearing is acceptable. Not for the faint of heart. But very very smart people there.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Rad = radiator
Barbs = connection from waterblockes, rads, pumps to the Hoses.
Fans are needed for the radiator... they dont come with.
The 1200 does have the holes for mounting external rads.

I agree with Shadow as well... you need to educate yourself before you do this. Read everything you can find.

A dremel is a good tool for cutting holes in cases. Be prepared to mod your case to do this proper.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I have always found no matter how awesome i plan the water loop i always end up having to change it for some reason or another... like the tubes just don’t want to go a certain way... or the pump is a little taller than anticipated.

Ultimately I always end up dremeling (is that a word?)Something! usually to accommodate the pump clearance or to make holes for wires.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Jeff... here is some important lingo

IN diameter = Inside Diameter...self explanatory
OD Diameter = Outside Diameter...self explanatory

Example...
You require 1/2" OD barbs for 1/2" ID tubing (or 7/16 ID tubing)

after this we can teach you the finer details of liquid nitrogen :eek: ,liquid helium :pt1cable: an maybe liquid hydrogen :ouch: cooling jus kidding :kaola: but seriously get some water ed or read a plumbing basics manual or something water cooling is great if done right
edit add Dice before liquid nitrogen

jeff77789

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
okay so i did some reading and it appears to me that u need a fan clip for your rad and what im not sure of yet is where the external rad "goes" in all the pictures i've seen, the radiator goes RIGHT AGAINST the side of the case and im not sure thats really good for the airflow despite the impressive 200+cfm fans out there. Also grieve, if i want to have TWO or maybe even 3 rads does the 1200 case support that?

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
This is one i did forever ago...

It has a MCP320 radiator using the swiftech radbox to mount the radiator...
This setup uses a swiftech GT waterblock and a MCP655 pump completed with a T-line. The case is an Antec 900.

IMG_0125.jpg

good1.jpg

Just curious, unless you are struggling with space,etc why use T-Line? I rarely use a T Line any more. Sure it's cleaner looking,etc. But imo, a clear res (with some moded side LEDs look very cool :p

Also grieve what fans on the rad? I'm guessing some Scythe Slipstream? Pretty good cable management btw.

jeff77789

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
very cool grieve

i have to say, where's your pump?? i cant find it.

also is that a 900? there doesnt look like there's a lot of space in there

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
heres a nice water setup, I have around $400 dollars into. I built the case myself out of aluminum and lined it with granite.

BTW click the pic, its a video :hello:

1/2 tygon lines, and yes you will need 8-10 foot. I have worked with other brands including the cheap Home Depot ones and they do not bend as well and they tend to kink and cut down your flow. Tygon lines do not.

I went with a swifttech Cpu block, Stealth 320 rad, swifttech 655 pump, Danger Den x2 5.25 bay tank, I had the T-line with a fill port in my first setup and it works, but I like the x2 5.25 drive bay better. I went with Scythe 120mm for my fans on the Rad, and the 4 others I have in this build. They are all on a Scythe fan controller.

Water cooling can be for noobs if you do your home work, don't go into it thinking you can not research things and it will work, because it doesn't work like that with water cooling. Its not rocket science, but it does require you do your home work.

I went with Fluid XP ultra for all of my systems so far and have not notice any haze, yellowing of the lines or anything.

I would not waste your time water cooling the motherboard North and south either, just not worth it if you get a Quality board in the first place, if you have a lower dollar board then yes, it might help.

Good luck with your step into water cooling. I love it.