Huge difference having a sound card for gaming?

pinoynobello

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Ive read that having a sound card will decrease the strain on a video card and is better for gaming. I was wondering how big of an impact it has and what a few decent sound cards are for $150 dollars or less. I have like 11 dollar logitec speaker but a Alienware TactX headset that will be used 90 percent of the time.

Solution
If you have a very high quality audio system, a sound card will make a very good difference, if you have a crappy one then no. I've used a sound card before on my 650watt 5.1 channel surround audio system and it made a massive difference ;). And it will not decrease strain on the video card because the video card does "VIDEO" processing, not audio so it has nothing to do with it.
The soundcard will not decrease strain on the video card. It will not reduce strain on a modern CPU to any significant amount.

Most people find little to no difference using a sound card over onboard sound. A minority do notice a difference in quality, especially those with very good computer speakers.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
If you have a very high quality audio system, a sound card will make a very good difference, if you have a crappy one then no. I've used a sound card before on my 650watt 5.1 channel surround audio system and it made a massive difference ;). And it will not decrease strain on the video card because the video card does "VIDEO" processing, not audio so it has nothing to do with it.

Solution

sidsrvnn

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
whats your onboard audio like? i have anotehr post running, waiting for responses, but yeah i have an x-fi which i just removed in anticipation of getting sli, which doesnt leave room for my x-fi and switched back to onboard sound, and if im being honest, aside from the loss of cmss-3d (which is this thing where creative software makes your stereo sound play simultaeneously out the front and back speakers) i cant really make out much of a difference

DITTO