Sign in with
Your question

Hard Disk not detected

Last response: in Storage
June 11, 2011 5:02:26 PM

Hi All

i have a 2tb samsung hard disk which i formatted in windows xp using disk management and copied lots of data to it...then when i connected it to other system which is based on windows 7....the hard drive is being detected by bios and device manager but doesnot show up in the explorer......when i tried to install xp on the 2tb hard disk it is being showing up as a dynamic drive with no free space and as a single drive when i tried to install windows 7 all the drives where detected but it was not allowing me to either install or format any of the drives detected.

please let me know if you need any more information.

More about : hard disk detected

a c 104 G Storage
June 11, 2011 5:41:52 PM

Hello,

Not really sure exactly what you have done and what you want to accomplish. Safety is foremost, so make sure the data you copied to the new 2 TB HDD is backed up and safe. So that you can reformat the 2 TB HDD properly. You may have to connect it back to the XP computer to backUp the data.

Sounds like you formatted your new 2 TB drive on a computer with RAID installed, and this disk was set up as a dynamic disk, rather than a basic disk.
You can convert it back to a basic drive, but it would just be simpler to connect it to the Win 7 computer, delete the volumes on it, chose basic drive, partition it in either 1 large single partition (will by default be a basic drive) or preferably partition it into 2 or 3 partitions which can be size adjusted later. Then format it in standard fashion with NTFS. That should give you a standard HDD for backUP, data files, or for a new OS.

m
l
June 12, 2011 5:49:21 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Hello,

Not really sure exactly what you have done and what you want to accomplish. Safety is foremost, so make sure the data you copied to the new 2 TB HDD is backed up and safe. So that you can reformat the 2 TB HDD properly. You may have to connect it back to the XP computer to backUp the data.

Sounds like you formatted your new 2 TB drive on a computer with RAID installed, and this disk was set up as a dynamic disk, rather than a basic disk.
You can convert it back to a basic drive, but it would just be simpler to connect it to the Win 7 computer, delete the volumes on it, chose basic drive, partition it in either 1 large single partition (will by default be a basic drive) or preferably partition it into 2 or 3 partitions which can be size adjusted later. Then format it in standard fashion with NTFS. That should give you a standard HDD for backUP, data files, or for a new OS.

thanks john.....i solved the problem by using import foreign media option.....which was there in disk management without any data loss
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
June 12, 2011 3:28:59 PM

Wonderful! The Foreign (import) choice is used when a dynamic disk is added to a different dynamic group. You must have set it up as a dynamic disk on the XP box. This would be called a spanned dynamic disk, and should have a red band over the volume status, rather than the dark blue band.

Just a note for completeness. You can convert basic and dynamic disks back and forth, but if you convert a dynamic disk to a basic disk, you remove all the partitions and loose all the data on the disk. Dynamic disks are fine, one of the 4 choices we have in setting up disks and partitioning them.
m
l
!