Replace FDD on Toshiba

I have a Toshiba Satellite 2805-S603 and need to replace the Floppy
Drive. I got the spare part so it should be a simple repair but I
don't seem to be able to open the darn thing.

I have taken out all the screws that I can see underneath, all around
and also the ones under the battery, under the hard drive and next to
the hinges. Still something is holding it together in the middle.

Yet there are no apparent screws there. Only thing I can thing of is
more screws on the other side, under the keyboard, but I don't want to
start taking off keys at random just to see, they are real hard to put
back on.

Anybody knows how to do this?

Thanks,
Claude
3 answers Last reply
More about replace toshiba

    Claudehl@aol.com (Claude) wrote in message news:<d9f71893.0405120012.29f00e11@posting.google.com>...
    > I have a Toshiba Satellite 2805-S603 and need to replace the Floppy
    > Drive. I got the spare part so it should be a simple repair but I
    > don't seem to be able to open the darn thing.
    >
    > I have taken out all the screws that I can see underneath, all around
    > and also the ones under the battery, under the hard drive and next to
    > the hinges. Still something is holding it together in the middle.
    >
    > Yet there are no apparent screws there. Only thing I can thing of is
    > more screws on the other side, under the keyboard, but I don't want to
    > start taking off keys at random just to see, they are real hard to put
    > back on.
    >
    > Anybody knows how to do this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Claude

    After a little research I managed to do it, so I'll post the results,
    in case someone else needs to do this. It is similar to what posters
    have written about other Toshiba laptops. The key is to remove the
    entire keyboard since there are more screws under it. It could be
    easier (obviously Toshiba doesn't want to make home repairs a common
    occurence) but it's not that difficult, just go at it patiently and
    carefully and you'll be happy with the results.

    First make sure the computer is unplugged and take the battery out
    (you don't want a dropped screw to short something)

    1) Turn the laptop face down and take out all the visible screws
    around the bottom case (B16 x 3, B6 x 4)
    Take out the screws from inside where the battery was (F4 x 4)
    Take out the Hard Drive
    Take out the screws from inside where the Hard Drive was (B6 x 2)
    Take out the screws holding the lid hinges in the back (F4 x 2)

    2) Turn the laptop around, open the lid and carefully remove the
    plastic piece above the keyboard that has the On button (use your
    finger nails to pry it out, starting at the edges, it comes out fairly
    easily)
    Underneath that, take out the screws holding the keyboard (F4 x 2)
    Lift the keyboard, disconnect its ribbon cable by lifting the edges of
    the plastic fastener and gently pulling out the cable. Remove the
    keyboard

    3) Take out all the screws holding the upper case (B6 x 4, B8 x 2)
    Unplug a couple of ribbon cables (a small blue one connecting the
    touchpad and a larger grey one connected to the main board), again by
    lifting the edges of the plastic holders and gently pulling out the
    ribbons
    Unplug a couple of connectors (a small one with red and blue wires and
    a larger one providing power to the screen and speakers)
    It's obvious which ribbons and connectors need to be unplugged since
    they prevent you from lifting the upper case.

    Now the whole screen + upper case assembly can be lifted off and
    you're home free for whatever repairs you need to make.

    Once done, reverse your steps. Don't forget to plug back all the
    ribbon cables and connectors and when doing so make sure you insert
    the ribbon cables (carefully) all the way before pushing down their
    plastic fasteners. Don't force anything, it should all go smoothly.

    Claude

    drop me a line privately, I may be able to help you.

    Claude wrote:

    > I have a Toshiba Satellite 2805-S603 and need to replace the Floppy
    > Drive. I got the spare part so it should be a simple repair but I
    > don't seem to be able to open the darn thing.
    >
    > I have taken out all the screws that I can see underneath, all around
    > and also the ones under the battery, under the hard drive and next to
    > the hinges. Still something is holding it together in the middle.
    >
    > Yet there are no apparent screws there. Only thing I can thing of is
    > more screws on the other side, under the keyboard, but I don't want to
    > start taking off keys at random just to see, they are real hard to put
    > back on.
    >
    > Anybody knows how to do this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Claude

    <snip>

    > Claude wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Toshiba Satellite 2805-S603 and need to replace the Floppy
    > > Drive. I got the spare part so it should be a simple repair but I
    > > don't seem to be able to open the darn thing.
    > >
    > > I have taken out all the screws that I can see underneath, all around
    > > and also the ones under the battery, under the hard drive and next to
    > > the hinges. Still something is holding it together in the middle.
    > >
    > > Yet there are no apparent screws there. Only thing I can thing of is
    > > more screws on the other side, under the keyboard, but I don't want to
    > > start taking off keys at random just to see, they are real hard to put
    > > back on.
    > >
    > > Anybody knows how to do this?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Claude

    you wont have to take keys off individually the whole board will come out
    look again around the key board, you should how to take it out, a little
    clip or a lenth of trim across the top or bottom edge of the keyboard

Toshiba Laptops