Power Supply connector confusion

Vashar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
My PS has one 6 pin PCI connector, one 6+2 pin PCE connector, and four 4 pin peripheral connectors. My 4870 requires two 6 pin connectors and comes with an adapter to turn two 4 pin peripheral connectors into one 6 pin connector.

Will a 6+2 PCI molex connector be fine for a PCI-E video card's 6 pin slot?

I ask this because I'd like free up the 4 pin connectors for other things.

Vashar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Cool, done. That cleans stuff up a bit.

Also, there's a black 8 pin connector that's not modular. What would that be used for? I just have it tucked away for the moment. I heard that the 4890 has a 8 pin connector, so I assume that would be the primary use.

Vashar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008

I have the 24 pin ATX and the 4 pin connector (by the CPU) hooked up. The 8 pin one is a 3rd non-modular one. There's no slot for it, so it I have it sort of tucked away between the case and PS.

Vashar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Fired it up and it's working though it's pretty damn loud. I wonder if the Power and HD LEDs are mislabeled too, or I have them the upside down. One's constantly on (red) and the other never blinks.

The one that is constantly on is likely the power LED, the one that never blinks is probably on backwards. LEDs only work in one direction but wont get hurt if they are in backwards. My power LED is in backwards, i just havent remembered to flip it around when i was in the case.

Vashar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
It's actually the HD one that's always on for me. It's the red one on the left (has the cylinder icon under it).

Once I'm done formatting the HD and installing the OS, I'll try and play with the plugs. Going to see if turning the jumper things upside down in the same position corrects it.

The entire rig is loud I found. The CPU fan, the 4 case fans, and especially the video card. Only the PSU isn't making a racket. The video card stands out with it's duct making a vibrating hum that has a wavering pitch. The CPU one is a consistent "ngheeeeeeeeer".

TRENDING THREADS