Are there any Bottle Necks on my P.C ?

rahulkhajuria

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
My pc is Pentium D 820 which is Dual Core . It has 512 MB DDR Ram (PC3200) & speed of CPU
is 200Mhzx14= 2.8 GHz . When I ran Everest Ultimate Edition on my P.C. , it gives the following information :

FSB Properties:
Bus Width = 64 bits
DRam:FSB Ratio = 1
Real Clock = 200 Mhz (QDR)
Effective Clock = 800 Megahertz
Bandwidth = 6400 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties :
Bus Width = 64 bits
Real Clock = 200 Mhz (DDR)
Effective Clock = 400 Megahertz
Bandwidth = 3200 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties :
Bus Width = 8 bits
Real Clock = 67 Mhz (QDR)
Effective Clock = 267 Megahertz
Bandwidth = 267 MB/s

The motherboard is MSI 865GVM3-V (MS-7101) from Micro Star International .
Chipset Details are as follows :

North Bridge Properties
North Bridge - Intel Morgan Hill i 865GV
Supported FSB Speeds - FSB 400 , FSB 533 , FSB 800
Supported Memory Types - DDR266 , DDR333 , DDR 400
Maximum Memory Amount - 4 GB
Revision Stepping - 02/A2
Package type - 932 pin FC - BGA
Package Size - 3.75 x 3.75
Core Voltage - 1.5 V
In Order Queue Depth - 12

Memory Controller -
Type - Dual Channel (128 Bit)
Active Mode - Single Channel (64 Bit)
PAT - Disabled

Question 1 :
Are there any Bottlenecks on my P.C. ?

Question 2 :
Also , since my P.C. is a x86-64 machine but since my windows is 32 bit , isn't my machine being under-utilized ? (Although I can understand , 64-bit windows isn't very popular since getting drivers for programs can become a problem ).
What does all these details mean ? I have not installed any video card or any additional cards other then the Memory DIMM on the Motherboard .(The system is working quite nicely maybe because I have not put it to any real test by running a really taxing application on it) . My question is just out of curiosity .

Solution
Well your system is very outdated for one second without a video card you really have nothing to bottleneck. When we talk about bottlenecks we usually talking about if your CPU is bottlenecking your video card or vice versa. With that being said that CPU will bottleneck any video card over a 9600GT or a HD 3000 series card. Might even bottleneck a 9600 GT slightly.

The D 820 is a dual core you are rite there but it is very inefficient it is just 2 pentium 4 slapped on a die and to make it worse the 820 is a 90 nm proccessor which run super hot. If you went up to a 900 series they are atleast 65 nn processors which will run a lil cooler and you can overclock them nicely but will still bottleneck most video cards.

As...
Well your system is very outdated for one second without a video card you really have nothing to bottleneck. When we talk about bottlenecks we usually talking about if your CPU is bottlenecking your video card or vice versa. With that being said that CPU will bottleneck any video card over a 9600GT or a HD 3000 series card. Might even bottleneck a 9600 GT slightly.

The D 820 is a dual core you are rite there but it is very inefficient it is just 2 pentium 4 slapped on a die and to make it worse the 820 is a 90 nm proccessor which run super hot. If you went up to a 900 series they are atleast 65 nn processors which will run a lil cooler and you can overclock them nicely but will still bottleneck most video cards.

As for your windows question the 32bit version of windows can only use 3 GB of mem where as a 64bit can use up to 128GB i beleive. As for drivers if you are talking about windows XP 64bit then you are correct you will have a hard time finding driver but for vista and windows 7 you will have no problem finding drivers for just about all you hardware. Now are you hurting performance on your system sticking with 32bit nope not at all your hardware you got will not see any improvement of speed going to a 64bit OS.

If your looking for better performance and cheap you might consider going to an AMD X2 or X3. Your motherboard and processor are very outdated so unless you plan on doing more then just surfing the internet or word processing I would look into an upgrade otherwise you will bre fine with what you got but dont expect to throw a video card in there and start playing crysis because it simply wont work.

Solution

rahulkhajuria

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Question 3 : I saw 2 sata slots on this same p.c on opening the cabinet & having a closer look at the Motherboard . My question is : How many total Hard Disks & of what capacity can I attach onto this machine ?

Question 4 : How do I know whether I had installed ACPI when I installed Windows XP Professional Sp2 onto this P.C. ?

Question 5 : If you carefully look at the Chipset Bus Properties , don't you think the chipset must be acting as the biggest bottleneck considering it's bandwidth is only 267 MB/s as compared to the RAM's which is 3200 MB/s & FSB whose Bandwidth is 6400 MB/s ?

Question 6 : Is it that actually the 2 Cores in the CPU of this machine are individually 32 bit but because their combined capacity becomes 64 Bit so this machine is capable of working on the EM64T (x86 - 64 bit) instruction set ?

Question 7 : Should I put in whatever maximum DDR Ram this P.C. can handle since it's motherboard is not capable of anything better than DDR Ram & since production of DDR Ram seems to be stopping ,it's getting expensive by the day and the P.C. may be having quite a few years left in it's life ?

Please elaborate

rahulkhajuria

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Question 3 : I saw 2 sata slots on this same p.c on opening the cabinet & having a closer look at the Motherboard . My question is : How many total Hard Disks & of what capacity can I attach onto this machine ?

Question 4 : How do I know whether I had installed ACPI when I installed Windows XP Professional Sp2 onto this P.C. ?

Question 5 : If you carefully look at the Chipset Bus Properties , don't you think the chipset must be acting as the biggest bottleneck considering it's bandwidth is only 267 MB/s as compared to the RAM's which is 3200 MB/s & FSB whose Bandwidth is 6400 MB/s ?

Question 6 : Is it that actually the 2 Cores in the CPU of this machine are individually 32 bit but because their combined capacity becomes 64 Bit so this machine is capable of working on the EM64T (x86 - 64 bit) instruction set ?

Question 7 : Should I put in whatever maximum DDR Ram this P.C. can handle since it's motherboard is not capable of anything better than DDR Ram & since production of DDR Ram seems to be stopping ,it's getting expensive by the day and the P.C. may be having quite a few years left in it's life ?

Please elaborate